Psi Upsilon hosts 13th annual keg jumping contest

It involves kegs, ice and cold weather. Yep, Psi Upsilon fraternity's annual keg jumping competition is definitely Dartmouth.

The tradition will continue this year when members of Psi U kick off the annual contest around noon on Saturday. The ice rink on the fraternity's front lawn, under the care of Will Jin '96, has been ready for weeks and now is only missing the jumpers.

The rink dates back to the 1960s, although none of the brothers are sure who decided to turn the front lawn into a skating rink. The same is true for the origin of the keg jumping contest, a much more recent tradition.

"This year will be the 13th official jump," Psi U President Giano Cromley '95 said. "We've kind of floundered around the 12th and 13th jump for a while, though."

During those years, the contest has evolved into one of Winter Carnival's most popular events. Between 400 and 500 people line up along the edges of the ice to catch a glimpse of the jumpers.

"It's like a giant one-ring circus," Cromley said.

The contest begins with one keg on the ice. After each contestant makes the jump, more kegs are gradually added to the line.

As the number of kegs grow, so does the padding on the jumpers. Contestants strap on helmets and hockey pads to protect themselves, and a mattress is placed on the ice to help cushion their landing.

Several jumpers usually drop out of the contest when the kegs start to number in the double digits, Cromley said.

"You stare at eight kegs in front of you and start to wonder about what you're doing," he said.

But the brave students who continue to jump as the line of kegs increases compete until they are disqualified by the distinct resonant sound made when skate hits keg.

But sometimes the brothers give exemptions to the disqualification rule, Cromley said.

"It's like a gladiator contest," Cromley said. "If [the jumper] gave a good effort, or if the crowd support is there, then we'll keep him in."

The key to succeeding in the keg jump is to get a good starting run, veteran jumper Gib Dunham '94 said.

"You also need a little luck, and it really helps if you've skated before," said Dunham, who cleared 12 kegs in last year's competition toplace second.

Craig Gorton '94 won last year by clearing a record-tying 13 kegs. He went for 14, but the only thing he ended up breaking was his collarbone.

Last year's injury "was a freak thing," Cromley said. "Usually there are just lots of bumps and bruises."

But fear of serious injuries is one of the reasons that keg jumping remains an exclusive house event; only Psi U brothers are allowed to compete.

Each participant pays a $25 entry fee, which is donated to David's House, an organization which helps families of children with cancer. Money generated from t-shirt sales is also donated to David's House.

"This is our chance to give something back to the community," Dunham said. "Last year we donated about $1,000, and a few years ago, the '89s raised almost $3,000."

But the contest is held for more than altruistic reasons.

"It's fun," Dunham said. "It's also a chance for our house to kind of show off and get some exposure."

Even if the members of Psi U, for some reason, decided not to hold their keg jumping contest one year, they probably would not be able to do it.

"People here are dying for tradition," Cromley said. "You do something twice and it suddenly becomes one. It's an unstoppable force."