Martin to help oversee fundraising

Lucretia Martin, a special assistant to the president, began her new job as director of development last week, overseeing along with Vice President of Development and Alumni Affairs Stan Colla the College's $425 million capital campaign.

In her new position, Martin is in charge of managing the overall efforts of Dartmouth's development team. She will coordinate all the College's fundraising efforts, including the Alumni Fund.

"She will be responsible for guiding the efforts of all of Dartmouth's fundraising in a collective way," said Colla, who made the appointment.

Martin also continues to be director of principal gifts, which was part of her responsibility before this recent announcement. As director of principal gifts, she identifies and solicits individuals who are able to donate more than $1 million to the College.

In her new position, Martin will be traveling, meeting with volunteers, donors and officers running the different funds who will report to her, Colla said.

"It's a big challenge," Martin said of her new job. "I'm excited about it. I'm going to need a lot of help."

But in Colla's opinion, Martin needs very little assistance.

In a statement to the College's Board of Trustees and the Will to Excel Executive Committee, Colla said, "Lu Martin is well known and highly respected as a development officer and manager, both here and elsewhere in the profession."

In Martin's four decades at Dartmouth, she has also been a special assistant to College Presidents John Kemeny and David McLaughlin.

In 1978 she created the first major gifts program for the Campaign for Dartmouth; in 1982 she established a permanent capital giving office for the College; and in 1984 she began a year and half long stint as joint director of the development and alumni affairs with Michael Choukas, Jr., the current director of alumni affairs.

Martin, in her new position, will chair a special strategic planning committee that will plan a structure for the College's development operations at the conclusion of the Will to Excel Campaign, Colla said.

"It's a very exciting time to be working on development at Dartmouth because you have the momentum of a campaign," Martin said.