Whaleback opens for ski season

Whaleback Mountain, home of the Ski Whaleback ski facility, reopened this year complete with 16 trails, offering Upper Valley recreational skiers a new local alternative to the Dartmouth Skiway.

James Griffiths '65 owned Whaleback mountain from 1967 to 1984. With the help of family members, Griffiths' daughter husband Timothy Herbert purchased the mountain from the bank earlier this year.

"We were looking at it for a while and the price was finally right," Timothy Herbert said. "We think it's a real asset to the Upper Valley. It's a good little hill."

The new facility offers the same services as when the mountain closed down over a year ago, including night skiing and lessons - all at cheaper rates than the college-owned Skiway.

"I think it's good because it gives more variety for students," Matthew Fulton '96, a member of the College's Ski Patrol, said.

Jeff Reed '76, Tom Kent '72 and Dave Clark '73 bought Whaleback from Griffiths in 1984.

Over the next few years the new owners installed night lights, snowmaking machines and enlarged the lodge as the number of visiting skiers rose from 10,000 in 1984 to nearly 35,000 in 1987.

The state of New Hampshire closed Whaleback during the 1990 season after the owners refused to buy compensation insurance because of exorbitant rates .

The hill opened the following season only to be foreclosed after poor snowfall ruined business, Reed said.

Though Ski Whaleback will be in direct competition with the College's facility, Skiway manager Don Cutter Jr. '73 dismissed the idea that the competition will hurt the Skiway's business.

"I think a new ski area will be better for the whole industry," Cutter said.

Steady sales and a new quad chair lift indicate that the Skiway is prepared to face the new competition, Cutter said.