SA works on constitution

The Student Assembly continues to work on several projects it began Fall term, including a task force investigating the D-plan and the drafting of a new constitution.

The new constitution will be presented to the Assembly within the next two weeks, Grant Bosse '94, the co-chair of the Constitutional Task Force, said.

The demand for a more precise constitution follows last spring's Assembly election fiasco when the president-elect resigned and the situation this Fall when representatives challenged the constitutionality of several political appointments of President Nicole Artzer '94.

"It is a 24-page document that is a thing of beauty," Bosse said. "It takes into account everything except nuclear war."

The Assembly is also working on a new course guide designed to provide information that is more relevant to students' needs than the brief course descriptions in the "Organization, Regulations, and Courses," the College's course catalog.

"It will be a syllabus guide, hopefully, with backgrounds on professors," said Meredith Epstein '97, an Assembly representative who is in charge of the course guide project. "It will include the number of papers required for the class, the cost of books - more than a course description. It will be written by someone who took the course."

Artzer announced that Provost Bruce Pipes will be the administrative advisor to the Assembly's D-Plan task force. The task force, which was formed last term, will examine the effects of the D-Plan on the students' academic and social lives.

The Assembly is also investigating the role of the Reserve Officer Training Corps at the College and is planning to issue a report for the Board of Trustees later this winter.