New leadership takes over CFSC

Chris Donley '95, a 20-year old Engineering Sciences major in Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, will be the next president of the Co-ed Fraternity Sorority Council, the governing body of the College's Greek organizations.

Last night Donley won a three-way secret-ballot vote against Evan Brown '95, a brother in Theta Delta Chi fraternity and Marie Weiss '95, a sister in Delta Gamma sorority.

Psi Upsilon fraternity member Andrew Johnston '95 will be the CFSC's vice president. Sunni Chauhan '96, a sister in Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, will be treasurer, and Anh-Thu Cunnion '96, a Delta Delta Delta sorority member, will be secretary.

This year, sororities with more than 120 members, specifically Tri-Delt, KKG and Sigma-Delt, received two votes. Although the new representation policy went into effect last year, this was the first set of CFSC elections for which they were in place.

In a separate election, Scott Swenson '95, a brother in Gamma Delta fraternity, became the next president of the Interfraternity Council President, which governs the College's fraternities.

Peter Zern '95 became IFC Vice President, and Douglas Pepper '95 was elected secretary and treasurer. Both Zern and Pepper are members of Theta Delta Chi fraternity.

Last Thursday, Sigma Delta sorority member Melissa Trumbull '95 was chosen as the next president of the Panhellenic Council, the umbrella organization for the College's sororities.

Delta Gamma sister Tammy Busch '95 will be the new Panhell Vice President and DG sister Marilyn Wrenn '95 will be the next treasurer. Christina Miyake '95, a sister in Tri-Delt, will become secretary.

Donley takes over as head of the CFSC from Mark Daly '94. The CFSC President meets with administrators and works on Greek policy changes.

Last term Donley was the programming chair of both the CFSC and the IFC. He said in his new position he hopes to expand or change the CFSC's role on campus.

"I want to look into the purpose of the CFSC - should it be an administrative body or a programming body?" Donley said. "From my experience in council, the best way to approach it is as a liaison between the sub-councils and the administration."

Trumbull, who is the social chair of Sigma Delt, replaces Rachel Perri at the helm of Panhell.

"I definitely want to get more unaffiliated women together with affiliated women," she said. "I also want to promote sisterhood between sororities instead of within sororities."

Swenson, who was IFC President over the summer, inherits his position from Guy Harrison '94.

He said the IFC will continue to address issues it has in the past, and will also look into new issues like how the College will handle the new hazing law passed last year that made all hazing activities illegal.

"I'd like to give back something to the Greek system, because it's given me so much," Swenson said.