Let under-21 in the Lone Pine Tavern

The new Collis has opened, and yes, it is beautiful. It is bright, it is big, and despite the shortage of seating, the food is remarkably quick and tasty. The pool room has appeared to stay busy, and judging from the number of people who play video games in Thayer Hall, the arcade should get plenty of use as well. The Lone Pine Tavern is playfully, yet tastefully, decorated with spirited paraphernalia, such as bonfire photos, a Dartmouth Avenue street sign, and a giant Penguin with a D on its chest. It has the potential that administrators have predicted to provide entertainment on the neutral level.

But Collis will truly serve this function only if the pub is open to all ages at all times.

Administrators such as Dean of Students Lee Pelton and Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia have heralded Collis as the College's first "student center." I assume this definition connotes a place which is open to all students, not just those who are twenty-one and older. The social policy to which the College seems committed is the maintenance of an atmosphere where younger students interact with upperclassmen on an equal plane. This unwritten policy can be seen, for instance, in the absence of freshman residence halls. Restricting access by drinking age to the Lone Pine Tavern would exclude roughly half of Dartmouth students and only damage this atmosphere.

Dean Sateia is on the right track in favoring an all ages pub. However, the existence of any debate at all is disturbing. Obviously, the College cannot serve alcohol to minors and look the other way. State liquor laws deny it any authority on that matter. But the College can allow minors in and enforce the drinking age. I believe that most underage students would prefer an enforced liquor law to a policy that does not allow them inside the pub at all. A system requiring two forms of identification, such as a driver's license and a Dartmouth ID, would be a fair method. Of course students could still share drinks, yet this risk exists at any institution where alcohol is served. There is no viable way of preventing such sharing at any bar or restaurant.

If the Tavern provided alcohol only, the College would be justified in enforcing an age limit. However, it seems that the College aimed to create an atmosphere for all students by creating the pub. It will feature live music, coffee, and various fattening munchies. If an age limit is employed, what will happen to those of us minors who look forward to stuffing down greasy potato skins or charging a cappuccino to our student bill?

Administrators must make the Lone Pine Tavern an all ages pub if they are dedicated to their goal of providing social options for all students. If they do not, half the student body will still see no change. Unless the pub allows minors, students and administrators will need to refer to Collis as a student center for ages 21 and over.