L.A. earthquake shakes campus

An earthquake that rocked the San Fernando Valley yesterday morning sent Los Angeles-area College students frantically calling home to see if their families were alright.

The quake, whose epicenter was in Northridge in the San Fernando Valley, struck at 4:31 a.m. and measured 6.6 on the Richter scale. The quake killed at least 24 people and severed major highways.

Anna Seto '94 said she was able to talk to her family right after the earthquake, and they were fine.

"I am still worried because even though I wouldn't be able to do much if I were there, I wish I could be there with them," she said. "It is weird how we are experiencing a tremendous snow storm here and there is destruction from a massive earthquake on the other side of the country."

Students hailing from California said they have grown used to massive earthquakes.

"The thing about earthquakes is that I've lived through several of them, and 6.6 doesn't sound that bad," Ara Lovitt '94 said.

Lovitt, who said he lives "not that close" to the quake's epicenter, tried to call home all day, but could not because the phone lines were down.

Veronica Garcia '96, who lives about 30 minutes from Northridge, did get in touch with her family, and said everything seemed to be fine.

When I heard about the earthquake it wasn't anything to panic about after experiencing the earthquake in Mexico in 1985 and the one in California in1988."

Jennifer Merzon '97 said she prefers the snow in Hanover to the quake in Los Angeles.

"As it has gotten colder and colder here in Hanover I've been wishing that I was back home in 80 degree weather, but I'll take a snow storm over warm weather and an earthquake any day," she said.

Merzon said her parents told her the earthquake was the worst one they have ever seen. Merzon's home is only 20 miles from the quake's epicenter.

"Luckily our house didn't suffer much damage - just a little fallen plaster here and there and a broken vase."