Film Society presents 'Iron Will' in tribute to J. M. Hayes

The Dartmouth Film Society honored John Michael Hayes, a Hollywood screenwriter and professor of Film Studies at the College in a tribute which included a sneak preview of his exciting new film, "Iron Will" in Spaulding Auditorium last Saturday.

Hayes has long been regarded as one of the film industry's most talented and distinguished screenwriters, best known for his collaboration with Alfred Hitchcock in the 1950s on such films as "Rear Window" and "The Man Who Knew Too Much."

Before his work with Hitchcock, Hayes had an extensive career writing for radio and screen and was known for the ability to adapt important plays and novels which were judged to be unfilmable.

Hayes' work is known for its strong dialogue, character depth, classic structure, wit and humanity. His film "Iron Will" may signal a return in Hollywood to films based on traditional values of rich characters and story line. "Its pre-release publicity has been very strong," Film Studies Chair Al LaValley said.

The program began at 7:30 p.m. with an 18-minute video that recounted Hayes' professional relationship with Hitchcock.

The next part of the program was a 25-minute compilation of scenes from the classic suspense film "Rear Window" (1954), the mordantly humorous "The Trouble With Harry" (1956) and "The Carpetbaggers" (1964).

Following that, the Film Society presented the Dartmouth Film Award to Hayes, the first to a screenwriter, citing his work as a "legend of the film industry."

In his acceptance speech Hayes said he wanted to return to cinema's traditional roots, which did not depend on profanities and excessive violence in order to promote a film.

He also wanted more rounded characters in modern films, not grotesque characters created to fit a particular stereotype in the story.

"Iron Will" marks Hayes' return to the big screen after 27 years. It will open this weekend in over 1,200 theaters. The film played immediately following the award ceremony with cheers from the audience when Hayes' credits appeared.

"Iron Will" stars Mackenzie Austin as Will Stoneman in the real-life story of Will Hartman who competes in the dangerous Great Northern Railroad dog sled race of 1916 to pay for college and becomes a national hero.

The film's plot progresses quickly from the events surrounding Will's father's graphic death and the rigorous training which Will endures to prepare for the race. It is a classic tale of an ambitious young man desiring to fulfill his father's dream against the forces of society and nature.

Austin provides an excellent portrayal of the strong Hartman, especially in the gruelling scenes during the race in which Will is injured physically and emotionally from the struggle to complete the life-threatening race.

"Iron Will" is a touching and heart-warming family film that will appeal to all ages. Adults will be moved by the strength of the hero and his integrity in spite of the cruel people involved in the race, while younger viewers will be attracted by the exciting action and suspense.

Following the feature film, there was a reception in the Faculty Lounge at the Top of the Hop at 10:30 p.m. where the audience was given the opportunity to meet and congratulate screenwriter Hayes.

Since this was the first time he had seen the film, Hayes said, "I was amazed at the cinematography and the perspectives the cameras took in each scene. Sometimes I pictured the scenes in my mind differently but they certainly turned out to be more spectacular on screen."

He also noted that Disney Studios wanted two younger writers to work with him on the script in order to ensure a "youthful" touch to the film. When asked what those two "youthful" writers may have contributed, Hayes said, "They added a more graphic death to the father while I had wanted to start the story closer to the actual race."