College honors King holiday

Leaders of traditionally black fraternities took a leading role in events planned for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day at the College yesterday.

Dr. John Epps, the national executive director of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, called for renewed efforts at social change and a more unified African-American community in a speech at Cutter-Shabazz Hall.

"Thirty years later Dr. King's uncomplicated dream is far from being fulfilled," Epps said. "We must rededicate ourselves to positive social change."

Earlier in the day, the brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity presented an hour of speeches and personal reflections in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. in the lounge of Cutter-Shabazz Hall.

"We feel a special closeness to Dr. King, not only as a civil rights leader, but also as our fraternity brother," said Richard Breaux '94, president of Alpha Phi Alpha.

King was a member of the fraternity's chapter at Morehouse College in Atlanta, Ga.

Breaux called for Americans to remember the man behind Martin Luther King Day.

"I am frightened that this holiday, like so many other holidays here in America, will become ritualistic, commercialized and off-track," Breaux said.

He referred to the "Christ being taken out of Christmas" as an example and said he hopes the same does not happen with King's birthday.

Ernest Coney '94 said King's support of non-violence should not encourage passivity.

"It is foolish to expect good will from the white people" he said. "We must take non-violent direct action."

Epps also supported action on the part of the African-American community and called for the educated to lead the way.

"It is in this room at Dartmouth College where the leaders are waiting to be found," Epps said. "Use your education to be a prominent role model for young people."

Epps used daunting statistics to support his call for continued social change.

"A black male has a one in 4,000 chance of getting a Ph.D but a one in 45 chance of becoming a cocaine abuser and a one in four chance of dropping out of high school," Epps said.

"In 1993, blacks are only half as likely as whites to earn a Baccalaureate degree," he said.

Epps described the Greek system's role in the African American community as action-oriented and complementary to other civil rights organizations.

"It doesn't make a difference if you are in a sorority or fraternity," Epps said. What is important is the dialogue that we must undertake to examine the barriers that face African Americans today."

After the speech, Malik Franklin '94, president of the local chapter of Omega Psi Phi, asked Epps if he thought the African-American Greek system is in danger of becoming obsolete. Epps said he thought there is a continued place for African American houses.

"There is a place for all organizations," Epps said. "There must be a give and take in discourse between those of a Greek letter organization and those who are not members."

Julian O'Connor '96, who is unaffiliated, said he agreed with Epps' message of organizational unity between Greeks and non-Greeks.

Epps asked that moderation and reason guide the leaders of the future. "Society's leaders must be militant but moderate," Epps said.

As the executive director and 29-year member of Omega Psi Phi, Epps said Greek organizations must work to remind society of their prominent place in the history of African-American civil rights. "We have often been seen as elitist," Epps said.

"People have treated the civil rights movement as having its genesis in the 1960s, but that is not the case," Epps said. "Fraternities and sororities have been contributing to the progress of African Americans for the last 85 years."

The crowd of nine gathered for speeches and reflections by Alpha Phi Alpha brothers was a sharp decline from last year, when the audience numbered more than 20.

Breaux said he believes the low turnout was because the event was not listed on the schedule of yesterday's activities sent to the College community last week with a letter from President Freedman.

"It is not anyone's fault. There just must have been a mix-up or miscommunication," Breaux said.

Pace Duckenfield '96 focused on aspects of civil rights legislation.

"Judicial decree may not control the heart, but it can control the heartlessness," he said. "It can keep me from not being hired because of the color of my skin."

Other speakers included Calvin Daniels '96, Hosea Harvey '95 and James Hunter '95.