Alumni will pick new Trustee

At its recent winter meeting, the Alumni Council nominated Peter Fahey '68, Michael Keeshan '73 and Gary Love '76 to replace departing Robert Danziger '56 on the College's Board of Trustees

The three candidates will appear on a ballot sent to all alumni in March. The results will be announced in April.

The Nominating and Alumni Trustee Search Committee of the Alumni Council, which is partly composed of class representatives and regional Dartmouth Club members, selected the three from a candidate pool of more than 500 alumni.

Fahey is a partner in the investment banking firm of Goldman, Sachs, and Company in New York City. He was a chemistry major at the College, the president of Phi Delta Alpha fraternity and a member of both the basketball and track teams. He graduated from Thayer School of Engineering in 1969.

Keeshan, the President and Chief Operating Officer of Saatchi and Saatchi Advertising in New York City, was an English major and graduated from the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration in 1975. He was a member of an acting group called the Dartmouth Players, The Dartmouth staff and the crew team; and a brother in Alpha Delta fraternity.

Love is the Executive Vice-President of Hanover Credit in Atlanta. He was an Economics major, a member of the Afro-American Society, the Freshman Council, and the Black Students Admissions Committee. He received the Young Alumni Distinguished Service Award in 1990.

Nominating Committee Chair Sue Finegan '85 said the committee usually has to replace one Trustee each year. The search begins in the fall with a pool of more than 500 candidates suggested by other alumni. The three final candidates are selected from a group of six to 12 alumni who are interviewed by the committee.

The alumni council is responsible for nominating half of the College's 14 Trustees. The seven other "Charter" Trustees are selected by the Board of Trustees itself.

Two additional seats on the Board are reserved for the College president and the perennially absent governor of New Hampshire.

Trustees serve a maximum of two, five-year terms.

Along with the nomination of the candidates for Trustee, the Alumni Council discussed a range of important issues, including the new expansion plans, multi-culturalism, and gender equity.

College president James Freedman, Dean of Students Lee Pelton, Dean of Faculty James Wright and the four undergraduates on the Council were among those who spoke to the Council.

Dan Gartner '94, one of the undergraduate Council members, said his speech discussed the guidance programs at the college and the lack of guidance for students after they are Freshmen.

Tracie Waack '94, another student member, said she spoke on a variety of campus issues, multi-culturalism and free speech issues regarding campus newspapers. She said the Council was very receptive to her speech and the others given by the undergraduates.

To give the Council members a background for discussing the campus expansion, Hood Museum Director Timothy Rub and Denise Scott Brown, the architect who designed the new campus plan, spoke about the expansion and its relation to the College's architectural history.

David Hall '51, a member of the council, said there was a wide range of responses to the plan.

"The Council is made up of a sort of microcosm of the student body. People represent a range of viewpoints on pretty much all of the issues," he said.

Gartner said the majority of council members were receptive to the expansion plan.

"From my point of view, I think it's positive," Gartner said. "I think most of the [Council members] take it as a positive."

But, he said there are always some people who will fear the expansion of the College and its becoming a University.

Art Hills '41, also on the Council, said the presentation showed Council members that the College had a clear vision about the expansion and will ensure the new campus is consistent with the College's history.

The Council also decided that all pre-25th reunions would continue to be clustered, meaning that three classes would hold their reunions at the same time. A committee of the Council recommended last year that this practice be discontinued but the Council voted against it.