SA arranges more debate

Following today's referendum, the Student Assembly plans a discussion series to gather student input on Greek houses and present data in a report to the Committee on Student Life.

The nine-part series, culminating in a town meeting in Webster Hall on January 28, is called "Men and Women and the CFS: How Does the System Serve the Students", Assembly President Nicole Artzer '94 said.

The first discussion will be next Wednesday at 8 p.m. in the Hyphen.

Some events will be held in residence halls, some in fraternities, some in sororities and some in co-ed houses, Artzer said.

"The format will be loose," Artzer said. "We hope this will be kind of a building process, where each event lets us formulate the format for the next."

After the meeting in Webster Hall, Artzer said the Assembly will submit a summary of the series and student suggestions to COSL.

"This type of discussion is long overdue," said Assembly representative Mitch Jacobs '94.

Jacobs co-chairs the Assembly's extracurricular committee, which will be writing the report to COSL.

"The discussion is so needed right now. There are so many misinterpretations and misunderstandings between people," Jacobs said. "We're hoping for some reform out of this that will be improvements to the system."

Artzer said there is not a single question the Assembly hopes to answer with the discussions.

"Gender equity within the CFS is a concern, but it's more talking about what is going on, what works and what can be improved," Artzer said. "It's not a trial."

Artzer said the discussion series is not an attempt by the administration to destroy the Greek system.

"The current CFS system is not going to be chopped off," she said. "We're going to be examining qualitatively what can be changed or improved. Any organization interested in strengthening itself is always interested in self-improvement."