Phi Beta Kappa inducts 26 seniors

Twenty-six seniors were inducted into Dartmouth's chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa honorary society on Tuesday at a formal ceremony in the home of College President James Freedman.

The seniors were selected based on their grade point average at the end of junior year which placed them in the top 20 in the Class of 1994.

At the ceremony in Freedman's basement library, Phi Beta Kappa officers donned formal academic robes.

The students were notified last week of their selection to the society.

"There were people raising motions and passing them and then we all signed a book and got a certificate," said Brook Brouha '94.

A reception in Freedman's dining room followed the induction.

"We all chatted because we didn't know each other since we had spent more time studying," Brouha said.

"It was very nice to actually meet President Freedman, who normally I don't have much personal contact with," Kevin Spurway '94 said.

"Twenty-six students were eligible because of dead flat out ties in rank," said Economics Professor William Baldwin, the vice president of Phi Beta Kappa. "There usually tend to be some ties, but this year was a little unusual."

Kristin Cobb '95 received an award called the "Sophomore Prize" for having the highest academic rank in her class at the end of five terms.

Phi Beta Kappa was established at the College of William and Mary in 1776. Dartmouth's chapter, The Alpha of New Hampshire, was founded in 1787 and is the fourth oldest in the country.