ORL awards Greek for service

The Office of Residential life and the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council recently gave two Greek houses awards for volunteer efforts and community service.

Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and Delta Delta Delta sorority received the first 15 Webster Avenue award for their involvement with the West Fairlee Village School, an elementary school in Vermont.

The $2,000 award, which will be given annually to Greek houses that support charity and community service projects, was established through an endowment created by alumni of three now-defunct Greek houses.

Sig-Ep and Tri-Delt members volunteered at West Fairlee since last winter, providing academic and moral support for students.

"We help children in the classroom and work one-on-one with the students," said Amy Palmer '94, Tri-Delt's president. "It's amazing what the children can accomplish with a little extra attention."

The two houses plan to use the award money to buy six used computers for the school, Sig-Ep President David Barrow '94 said.

"The computers will have a lasting positive influence on the kids, they can develop their computer education," he said.

Assistant Dean of Residential Life Deb Reinders and CFSC President Mark Daly '94 presented the award Saturday, Oct. 30.

"The award is as rewarding for Dartmouth students as it is for the children," Tri-Delt member Elissa Slovik '94 said. "It gives us a sense of accomplishment."

Fifteen Webster Avenue originally housed Tau Epsilon fraternity. It later became the Harold Parmington Foundation and then Delta Psi Delta, a co-ed house. Alumni of these three organizations sold the deed to the College last year and created the award from that money.

House applications for the awards were judged on several factors -- community service for charitable cases, the impact on the community, feasibility and level of member participation, Reinders said.

"It sheds a positive light on CFS organizations ... they are helping out those children who are less fortunate."