New co-ed society forms

A small group of students is close to obtaining College recognition as Dartmouth's second undergraduate society, which the group hopes will become the first mainstream co-ed social organization.

Duncan Hodge '94 and Christine Carter '94 have led the group of about 10 students in the effort to form the society, called Amarna. The name comes from a city in ancient Egypt, whose founders broke free from traditional society to become a new, ideal city.

Hodge was a member of Alpha Chi Alpha. Carter is a member of Sigma Delta sorority.

Also in the group are campus activist Auguste Goldman '94, former Student Assembly Vice President Andrew Smith '94 and Claire Unis '94, the editor in chief of Spare Rib, a women's issues publication.

The group is working on a final draft of a constitution, and hopes to have preliminary recognition from the College before the end of this term, Hodge said.

Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco said she expected the group will get recognition when they work out the kinks of their constitution.

"They would not be recognized unless we have evidence that they intend to live up to their constitution and standards," she said.

Turco, who called the proposed society a "totally different concept than a CFS house," said she supported the group. She said it would be a good alternative to the Greek system

"It's really interesting because it's a group of seniors who have had a very positive experience at Dartmouth and have envisioned some sort of an ideal social setting," she said.

Undergraduate societies are similar to Greek houses, but have no selective process for new members, so there is no rush or pledge period. New members are immediately given full status in the organization.

"The lack of a pledge period is very important," Hodge said. "All members have equal status in the house and there is no hierarchy."

"I feel strongly about having an organization that really represents its members," he said. "In some Greek houses, members have to conform to some organization."

Hodge said Amarna would still have parties and sponsor other events.

Last year, Panarchy broke free from the Greek system to become the College's first undergraduate society. Turco said Panarchy has been doing well since its decision.

Hodge said he started thinking about forming a new society when he came back this fall and didn't see a move towards a completely co-ed Greek system.

"I thought of this as a viable way to start something," he said.

After talking to his friends and English Lecturer Terry Osborne, Hodge said his group decided to go ahead with plans for the society.

"I would say it is to have a more inclusive place on campus in comparison with a lot of the outer social houses," he said. "We've run into the term 'a common ground' a lot. It's a place where people would feel more comfortable coming into."

But the group does not have a physical home yet. Turco said she and Dean of Students Lee Pelton are looking for a physical plant for the group.

"Pelton and I said we would do our best to identify space for them, but there are a lot of variables," she said. "We didn't make them any guarantees ... The goal is to try to identify new space by mid-April."

Hodge said he had no idea if the group will get a house.

"It's really out of our hands," Hodge said. "I don't know where we stand. I know other organizations are looking for housing. We have to see what the administration can do for us."

Pelton, who makes the final decision on the group's recognition, said he supported the organization, but would not speculate whether the group would be recognized.

"I don't predict the future," he said. "This particular group's idea has a lot of merit."

Hodge said his group has not yet tried to recruit members but guessed there would be a lot of student interest.

"Its attraction is for people who currently are looking at Greek houses ... but aren't really satisfied with the options there," he said.

Hodge said the group has not yet determined if members of Amarna can also be in Greek houses. Another issue the group must address is the size of the membership.

Although anyone can join the house, Hodge said there might be a problem if too many people join. He said he thought if there was a large amount of student interest, the administration would support the creation of a third society.