Lack of knowledge about co-ed Greek life is sad

As a member of a co-ed Greek house on campus, I felt a need to write and make some observations about items in "New co-ed society forms" (The Dartmouth, Nov. 19).

First, the new undergraduate society described in the article will not be "the first mainstream co-ed social organization" on this campus. Given how the article implicitly defines "mainstream," the first such organization would be Asgard.

Second, the article implies that the existing co-ed organizations -- be they Greek or not -- are not mainstream, and, in addition, that not being mainstream is bad. I find this utterly insulting and evidence of ignorance and prejudice.

The article perpetuates a stereotype which may or may not be true (depending on how a person defines mainstream) and one which the current co-ed Greek houses are trying to dispel. Who is to say what we, as students, should consider "mainstream?' " And why should the existing co-ed Greek houses and undergraduate society be stigmatized by continually being called "marginal?"

I find the continuing lack of knowledge about co-ed Greek life exasperating as well as sad. Take the time to find out the truth about the coed Greek houses before implying we are not mainstream or before calling us marginal. Aleise McCann '94