Prof. Burnett dead at 73

Dr. Joshua Burnett, a professor of clinical medicine emeritus at Dartmouth, died in his Hanover home yesterday. He was 73.

Burnett was a member of the Dartmouth faculty from 1952 to 1984.

Born in Brookline, Mass. in 1920, Burnett received an A.B. degree from Harvard University in 1941 and an M.D. from Cornell University in 1944.

He was a captain in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1945 to 1947. After his service, Burnett served an internship with Brigham Hospital in Boston and later worked as a resident with Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital in Hanover.

Burnett served on the Hitchcock medical staff from 1952 to 1984. He was an instructor of medicine at the Dartmouth Medical School from 1952 to 1961, where he continued as an assistant professor until 1970. For the following six years he served as an associate professor of clinical medicine.

Burnett was made a full professor in 1976 and remained active on the faculty for the next eight years. He received an honorary degree from the medical school and was the first recipient of the American Medical Association's Distinguished Rheumatology Award in 1988.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at the Church of Christ in Hanover. Donations can be made in Burnett's name to the New Hampshire Chapter of the National Arthritis Foundation.