Ivy League football weekend wrap-up

Pennsylvania 36, Columbia 7

Quaker Quarterback Jim McGeehan completed 23 passes for 284 yards and three touchdowns as Penn stayed undefeated with a 36-7 crushing of the hapless Columbia Lions to pull into a first place tie with Princeton in the Ancient Eight race.

Sophomore Miles Macik, who caught nine of those passes for 104 yards and two touchdowns, is the top receiver in Division I-AA and has already tied a school record for TD receptions in a season.

Columbia signal caller Chad Andrzelewaki scrambled for 39 of the Lions 65 running yards of the day and scored his team's only touchdown against a Penn defense that is ranked eleventh nationally.

Princeton 31, Lehigh 23

Princeton, the Division I-AA's 24th ranked team, pumped its overall record to 5-0 with a 31-23 win over Lehigh in a game that saw the Engineers aerial attack shred the Ivy League's top-rated defense for 400 yards of passing.

Keith Elias kept his position as the Division I-AA's top rusher as he piled up 160 yards despite playing with an injured hip. Quarterback Joel Foote found Marc Ross six times for 129 yards. Ross also returned three punts for 65 yards.

Princeton's defense collected six sacks on the day and limited Lehigh's running game to 34 yards on 30 futile carries.

Brown 21, Bucknell 12

Marquis Jessie became the first freshman in Ivy League history to win a weekly football award as his 170 yards on 27 carriers propelled Brown over Bucknell, 21-12.

Bucknell has been outscored 104-37 in its three losses against Ivy League opponents.

Brown started Trevor Yankoff at quarterback and responded with, among other things, a crucial seven-yard touchdown run. The Bear's defense sacked Bison QB Travis Kopp four times.

Cornell 48, Fordham 6

The Big Red steamrolled Fordham 48-6 as running back Chad Levitt piled up 106 yards and three touchdowns and wide receiver Aaron Berryman grabbed six passes for 93 yards and two touchdowns.

Cornell's 48 points were the most scored against a Fordham team since 1979.

Fordham eked out only 37 yards and two first downs in the first half against a Cornell defense led by Chris Zingo, who reached double figures in tackles for the 25th consecutive game.

Harvard 41, Holy Cross 25

Crimson quarterback Mike Giardi earned Ivy League offensive player of the week honors as he ran for 98 yards on 16 carries and passed for 175 for a total of 273 yards of offense in Harvard's 41-25 win over Holy Cross.

Giardi broke a 79-year old school record for career touchdowns with a pair of rushing touchdowns to help Harvard best the Crusaders for the first time since 1985.

Running back Mark Cote ran for 124 yards and two touchdowns on just 16 carries as he helped prod Harvard to its fifth-straight home victory.