Big Green volleyball still winless

The women's volleyball team remained winless as losses to Columbia and Cornell in Leede Arena last weekend lowered their record to 0-12 overall and 0-5 in the Ivy League.

Friday, the Big Green lost to Columbia 12-15, 15-4, 15-6, 15-13, despite rallying to a 13-13 tie in the final game of the match.

The following day, defending Ivy League champion Cornell brought its undefeated Ancient Eight record into Leede Arena and downed the Big Green 15-4, 14-16, 15-3, 15-8.

The Cornell team proved to be too tall for Dartmouth, as it controlled the net most of the game. The Big Red blocked most of Dartmouth's spikes and their powerful spikes kept Dartmouth on the run the whole match. The hitting and serving errors of Dartmouth also contributed to its defeat.

Even though the team lost both matches this weekend, assistant coach Kim Goodwin said this weekend was a "big milestone."

"The team now has the confidence that they can compete in this league," Goodwin said.

A reason for the Big Green's satisfaction with their play this weekend came in the second game of the Cornell match, when they rallied from a 2-12 deficit to win the game, 16-14.

"The team cut down on mistakes, " Coach Goodwin said "and we were paying attention to [Cornell] and staying one step ahead."

Captain Michelle Moore '94 felt that winning a game against Columbia and Cornell is a big accomplishment.

"The team showed signs of improvement, " she said.

Against Harvard on Tuesday, the Big Green fell in three games to the Crimson. This weekend, Dartmouth will compete in the St. Michael's Tournament in search of its first victory of the season.