Textbook costs approach aid limit

A survey of textbook prices at the Dartmouth Bookstore reveals that some professors ask their students to buy books totaling nearly $150, a tally that nearly wipes out the usual stipend provided for books for students who are on financial aid.

Students in Government 83, "Contemporary Issues in Arms Control" were asked to buy $147.15 worth of books this term, making the class' reading list the most expensive on campus.

Financial aid recipients can receive as much as $165 per term for books, according to Virginia Hazen, director of admissions and financial aid. A student on financial aid in Government 83 would be left only $11.85 to spend on the rest of his or her classes.

But Hazen said students can apply for more College support in purchasing expensive course materials. "We budget $165 per term for books," Hazen said. "If the actual cost of books exceeds this amount, a student can request additional loan or work study eligibility."

Assistant Government Professor John Kroll, who teaches Government 83, said he sympathized with students but had to assign expensive books to provide students with the most up-to-date information.

"The course is about a very current issue, and the only books I could really find that were relevant to this course were brand new books that were hard cover," Kroll said.

As an alternative to purchasing the books, Kroll said he placed the books on reserve in Baker Library.

"I have told my students that if they had any trouble obtaining these books they could get them through the reserve library," Kroll said.

The second most expensive course is also a government class. The cost of textbooks for the department's Foreign Study Program in London is $132.55.

Economics 7, Sociology 38 and History 59, with textbook costs of $138.90, $138.25 and $130.60, respectively, close out the five most expensive courses.

Assistant Dean of Faculty Peter Armstrong said the College's administration does not limit the cost of books that professors can assign.

"The departments obviously can't have courses without the appropriate textbooks," Armstrong said.

Book prices were calculated from current quotes at the Dartmouth Bookstore.