Theft shows disrespect, hurts College

It hasn't been a good summer at Rockefeller. Several pieces of artwork were stolen from our walls. This time it was two silk screens created and donated by John Martin '85 as an independent research project. Other thefts this year include a tape recorder, a photograph, chairs and plants.

We had just finished our report to Safety and Security and had ceased verbalizing our anger, puzzlement and disbelief about the lack of regard some people have for other peoples' property, when we were sent reeling with another theft.

In the span of one hour early on a Thursday afternoon in June, we were rearranging two offices and temporarily stored the Center's main computer in an adjacent office. There were six people moving in and out of the five offices on the administrative corridor, but still someone walked away with our computer.

The data on that machine represents four years of Center activity. Granted, the bulk of it is backed up, but there are still proposals, chapters and numerous pieces of correspondence that are gone.

Those of you who frequent Rockefeller Center know it is a wonderful building for studying, gathering and class-taking. We take pride in the Center and work hard to make it an attractive and comfortable place. We also like spending our eight-hour days in a pleasant environment.

The outcome of this most recent theft has forced us to remove remaining art work from the walls and lock our doors, even when we are simply going to the office next to our own. We will now have a less inviting and less efficient environment in which to work. Every day we will be reminded about the inconsideration of others around us, and we will pay for and suffer because of their insensitivity.

If you have stolen our artwork, computer, chairs, photographs, plants or anything else at Dartmouth, know that you have hurt individuals, offices, departments, as well as the quality of life at this institution. You have helped raise costs that affect tuition, scholarships, salaries and services.