Hoops coach moves to ASU

Women's basketball coach Jaqueline Hullah left the College last week to become head coach of the women's basketball program at Arizona State University.

A search committee, headed by Associate Director of the Intercollegiate Program Jo Ann Harper, is presently reviewing the applications of the four finalists for the position and hopes to namea new women's basketball coach by the beginning of next week, Harper said.

"We have conducted a national search and all the candidates are from outside the College," she said.

The search committee, comprised of alumni, administrators and coaches, was formed after Hullah announced her resignation at the beginning of July.

During her nine years at the College, Hullah led the women's basketball team to five consecutive Ivy League championships from 1986 to 1990. Hullah reached her 100-win mark during the 1989-90 season, faster than any other coach in Big Green history.

The team has not been as successful in recent years because of not "clicking as a unit," team member Lauri Stucker '95 said.

Stucker did not pinpoint the coaching as the source of the team's problems, but said she hopes seven new members from the Class of '97 and a new coach will give the team the boost it needs for a winning season.

"We're definitely excited for a new era to begin," Stucker said. "It's like getting new blood and it might be for the better."

Stucker said she thinks the move is a great step for Hullah.

"Arizona State is an outstanding institution which possesses a great opportunity for its athletes," Hullah said. "The Pacific-10 Conference is a well-respected basketball conference that offers outstanding opportunities for women. The ASU position is a great challenge."

Hullah came to the College in 1984 after serving as assistant basketball coach at Northwestern University for four seasons.