Greek system under tight control

As I glance over my columns from this term, I see that I have not yet had to address the Greek system. So I will use this, my last editorial, to comment on what I see as a large amount of distrust many administration members have regarding the Greek system.

This distrust is manifested in the amount of control the administration has over several facets of the system. I am the social chair of my fraternity this term and thus I have had my share of dealings with the Office of Residential Life. Through my experiences, I have noticed that our friends in Parkhurst have a large hand in the financial cookie jar of the Greek houses.

First of all, every house has to submit an audit to the college detailing all the expenditures from the previous term. There is a set due date every term for the audits (one from the treasurer and one from the social chair) and late or incomplete audits result in a fine.

The reason for this, I would guess, is that the College collects dues and rent for the organizations and transfers the funds to the respective Greek houses. So, ORL audits the accounts supported by College-billing so they can be sure none of the money they collect is spent on things like alcohol. In addition, the College audits the houses' expenditures so it has the records available if the IRS were ever to audit a fraternity or sorority. I grant that this can be a helpful resource, but I wonder about the administration's motives for having that extent of control over Greek finances.

On the subject of social events, every time a house wants to have a party, it must register it at least three days in advance and provide details of what will go on. Also, each house is required to program certain events (cultural, dorm-sponsored and philanthropic) or be in violation of "minimum standards."

The administration's regulation of these things seems a bit strict. Instead of punishing a house for not programming certain events, perhaps it could reward houses for their active participation in cultural or philanthropic events each term.

These are a few examples of the red tape that Greek organizations must cut through every day. But the control and the distrust I am talking about goes beyond finances and parties.

First-year students are not allowed to enter Greek houses for alcoholic events during Fall term or the Greek house gets fined, regardless of the circumstances. In addition, the house could be placed on social probation.

Rush has been delayed from freshman spring (a term when all freshmen are in residence) to sophomore fall, a time when many sophomores are either on leave or studying abroad. It could be effectively argued that the D-plan necessitates a freshman spring rush because of the heterogeneous nature of people's schedules after their first year in residence.

I think delayed rush in itself is a very good idea because it allows first-year students to get to know one another and establish friendships regardless of Greek affiliation. But two terms is enough, don't you think?

Taking all of this into account, it is easy to question the motives of the administration. Perhaps they are doing what they think is best for the unity of a small college, but perhaps there are other purposes at hand. I would like to say that this is not a broad-based accusation of any sort because many of the folks in Parkhurst, such as the "infamous" Deb Reinders, dean of residential life do a very good job and are very supportive of the Greek system. I am merely attempting to call attention to some of the aforementioned avenues of control.

Finally, I would like to discuss how many students on this campus, along with a few administrators have adopted the view that being associated with a single sex Greek house means that one is automatically a social deviant.

Many have adopted the attitude that fraternities encourage rape. And what's more, some of those who propagate this view believe single- sex organizations have no place on a co-ed campus.

This exemplifies the distrust I have seen of the Greek system over the past two years. I would say to those who do, in fact, distrust Greek houses that Greek affiliation does not necessitate any particular personality type or attitude. It is a bit arrogant to make judgments about individuals based on what letters they may or may not wear. Perhaps we should be thankful that on this campus, for all intents and purposes, no one really cares if someone is or is not affiliated with the system.

So instead of looking for problems and/or justifications within the Greek system, we should realize that our system here is a very good one as opposed to many other campuses nationwide.