All should fund Greeks Against Rape

In a shocking development, there are people upset at the Greek system on campus. This time, it is over the Interfraternity Council's refusal to grant a target amount of money to Greeks Against Rape, an organization dedicated to educating pledges and to eliminating sexual assault.

The idea behind Greeks Against Rape is noble, and the group should be supported. I certainly hope there would be nobody on campus who would not like to see the total disappearance of sexual assault at Dartmouth. I fully support educating pledges about being responsible for their actions. Anyone rushing a house should be required to attend some sort of program dealing with rape. The problem with an organization like Greeks Against Rape is money.

An obvious argument is that the Greek system should fund all Greeks Against Rape events, because it is a problem within the system. While this argument certainly has its supporters, I think it is important to note that the fraternity system here is the main social alternative, and it is not just those in the fraternities who attend parties, nor is it only members of fraternities who have committed sexual assaults.

In that sense, the Greek system becomes more universal, although technically it is not a campus-wide organization. If people expect the Greek system to provide entertainment every weekend of every term, they should be at least partly responsible for dealing with any problems that affect the entire campus.

Fraternities hold parties for the enjoyment of everyone on campus, not just for themselves. It would be a lot easier to hold an event for brothers only rather than to open it up to the public. There is a degree of risk with any social event held in a house. Things are stolen by attendees, windows are broken and let's not forget the various refreshments offered. Who pays for these things? The houses do.

It has been suggested that the fraternities should re-evaluate their budgets if $50 is too much to donate to Greeks Against Rape. The elimination of beer is an obvious answer. Well, that's all fine and dandy, but who drinks it all?

Of course brothers drink some of it, but it seems to me that when I see a basement filled with people, all of whom have beers in their hand, there are always a few, or some, or many, who are not brethren. Who could these people be?

It seems that everyone loves to blame the Greek system for something. It is not perfect. Certainly there are problems, as there are with any organization, and Greeks Against Rape is an attempt to deal with one of them.

The fraternities should help fund Greeks Against Rape, and this funding should occur during the main academic year when the majority of brothers is present and dues can cover the expense. However, I think it is important to remember that the Greek system does not exist by itself.

Fraternities share their houses and their beer with the rest of the campus, and I don't see too many people in fraternity basements complaining about it.