Summer isn't just for sophomores

Amidst the scrambling to meet other '95s for picnics on the Green, bonding in debauchery in fraternity basements, climbing to the summit of Moosilauke and jumping off ropes into frigid waters in search of class unity, there are many students at Dartmouth this term who are not sophomores.

Summer is for everybody, including '96s, '94s and '93s, exchange students and transfer students.

Hanover's beauty is a magnet that attracts nature lovers who bike, hike, swim, jog, and revel in the sun. Many are taking classes, working for the administration or just "hanging out" before beginning graduate school or careers.

"Spring was too hectic to do all the Dartmouth things [such as] canoeing, jewelry making and chatting with friends," said a '93, who is working for the College. "I am having such a good time here that I don't want to go home."

Allison Ahearn '94, who is working for the admissions office, agreed. "I love being here in New Hampshire for the summers because the weather is great, and there's always a lot going on," she said.

Mason Allen '96 is taking courses because he did not want to get a job this summer. Instead, he is rock climbing, teaching guitar and rehearsing for his band.

Michelle Deutsch, an exchange student from University College of London, is taking advantage of summer classes at Dartmouth. "It is a brilliant opportunity to come to the States to see how students learn here and what life in the American university system is like," she said.

Some students on campus this term who already experienced sophomore summer feel weary of intruding on the experiences of current sophomores.

Angus King '93 said he felt some sophomores might be thinking, "You guys had your time and it is time for you not to be here."

Though many students said they thought they might be intruding, most said they did not feel excluded. King said he was gaining a new perspective on the College by experiencing it without many of his friends who graduated.

King and Ed Han '94 both said they find studying easier, due to fewer social distractions.

But others said they miss having classmates on campus. "I wish I knew more people. I miss my friends," Matt McGill '96 said.

"People here are the friendliest, nicest, most open that I have met in any university," Cristian Schrobsdorff '96, a transfer from Columbia University, said. He attended three universities before coming to Dartmouth.

Gillian Glasser, an exchange student from Mount Holyoke, expressed amazement at how open and willing to include others Dartmouth students have been. She said the College has a "very good, casual, close atmosphere."