Student's death raises concerns

When a student dies, a College support system is ready to assist those affected by the tragedy.

The Counseling and Human Development Office, the Tucker Foundation and the Dean's Office are ready to assist anyone who seeks help in coping with a sudden death.

The administration responded to the news of Lisa Chang's death with a support system designed for emergencies. At all times during the day and night, every day, there is a dean and senior dean on call, as well as a counselor and a contact in the news service.

On call Friday night, at the time of Chang's death, was Assistant Dean of Residential Life Deb Reinders. It was her responsibility to notify Dean of Students Lee Pelton, the news service, the dean of the Class of 1993, the Tucker Foundation, the Counseling Office and to keep in touch with the students on the scene. Dean Pelton notified Chang's parents.

A memorial service following the death of a student is held if students' interest in such a service is voiced, according to Class of 1993 Dean Sylvia Langford. She said students may call the Dean's Office or Tucker Foundation Dean James Breeden to request a memorial service. She said the Tucker Foundation is also available for spiritual support.

"We're all struggling with the tragedy of a young woman dying," Langford said. "It causes us all to take a bit of a pause."

"We hope they are doing as well as can be expected," Langford said, speaking of friends, family, and those with Chang when she died. "Our counseling won't make anything go away. It may help some people work through the grieving process."

According to Dr. Janet Sims, assistant director for health service outreach, students might seek help right away or even months after someone close to them dies. She said the death of a fellow student may cause friends to experience renewed grief over loved ones who had died years before.

"Some do best dealing on their own, talking with each other," she said. "We don't try to give them what they don't need."

She said the counseling service would meet with an individual or with a group of students if that help was requested.

"Some grieve quietly," Sims said. "Others need to talk about it."

"There is shock, disbelief, sadness, anger. We don't deal with death often enough to see how complete and final it is."

The counseling office, located in Dick's House, can be reached at 650- 1442 for a daytime appointment. There is also a therapist on call all hours of the day who can be reached through Safety and Security at 646-3333. The Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital also offers counseling service around the clock, which can be reached at 650-7000.