Let the College tempt your taste buds

Arguably the most difficult task 'shmen face at the beginning of the year is figuring out how to get the most out of a meal plan.

Some form of college meal plan is mandatory for all four years, but freshmen have it especially rough because of the complicated "meal equivalency transfer," affectionately known as the "punch" system.

Each first-year student must select either a 10- or 14-meal plan, and each week will have that many punches to use up -- otherwise the leftovers will simply vanish after Sunday night. But, the punches ensure students will be able to eat at least 10 meals each week, rather than using up all their food money before the last few weeks of the term.

A punch is worth roughly what the College has determined the amount each meal should cost. Thus, the breakfast punch (used until 11 a.m.) is only worth $2.50, whereas a dinner punch (used between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.) allows students to buy $5.20 worth of food.

Since the value of a punch in actual use depends on the time of day, light eaters should be forewarned that they will not be credited for the extra $1.20 if their meal totals $2.80 and they use a $4 lunch punch, for example.

At any time of day, students can use a punch to get unlimited amounts of food at the all-you-can-eat-if-you-really-want-indigestion cafeteria called Full Fare, or $2.50 worth of items at the College's convenience store, Topside.

Students prepay a set price for the package, which includes a minimal declining balance that can be used in any of the designated dining areas as a cash equivalent. But, when their declining balance is gone, students can easily tell the cashier at any of the dining facilities to "charge it" and the bill will appear on their next College bill.

So, if a student buys dinner for $6.65, the $1.25 exceeding the punch limit can either come out of declining balance or be charged.

Aside from the usual grumbling about how terrible eating on any campus is, most students reluctantly agree that overall the food here is pretty good; it's just too expensive.

Dartmouth Dining Services (DDS) offers a wide variety of food, ranging from the classic greasy college fare to healthy choices like the "garden burger" and everything in between. In general, the better the food is for you the more you will pay, especially if it is sold by weight, like salad bar items and frozen yogurt.

All facilities attempt to maintain variety in their menus by introducing new items and offering various ethnic dishes. Don't be embarrassed to use the comment cards provided.

Every meal at Full Fare, the all-you-can-eat cafeteria, is just one punch, so it is the best value for those with big appetites.

But, it is very expensive for students who aren't using punches. To get into Full Fare students can use their declining balance, though it's not economical. A Sunday brunch at Full Fare costs $6, an outrageous amount to pay for someone eating cereal and juice.

But many students, like Tim Hozier '95, think Full Fare is a good deal. "If you are willing to pay $6.75 for lunch, you can eat $6.75 worth of food or more," Hozier said.

Food Court is the largest dining area and contains a carvery, deli, grill, salad bar, snack shop, frozen yogurt bar, pastry case and taco bar in addition to a different main entree each night. It is hectic during popular meal hours, and the most common complaint students have with eating there are the long lines.

The Hop, which houses the Courtyard Cafe, is currently the only DDS option not located in Thayer Hall, the centrally located dining building.

The Hop has a reputation for being the campus "greasy spoon" cafeteria. However, there are a number of prepared salads and other light options available. The service is fast and friendly, and there are shaded tables set up outside.

While all DDS dining facilities offer some form of salad and fruit, Home Plate has become the saving grace for the truly health conscious on campus. Entrees and grill items are generally healthier versions of those served at Food Court.

The previous healthy hot spot, Collis Cafe, is closed for expansion until Spring term. Collis is famed for its home baked breads, rich desserts and vegetarian entrees.

Topside is the College's convenience store, located upstairs in Thayer Hall. In addition to selling grocery items, it also rents out movies. As is typical of most convenience stores, the prices are high and the selection narrow, but, unlike a local super market, students can use their declining balance account.

Invariably, freshmen who haven't gotten around to using all of their punches during the week will make a last minute run to Topside, where each punch is only worth $2.50, no matter the time of day.

The price of going to college in a charming little New England town like Hanover (in addition to tuition) is that zoning ordinances keep out fast food franchises.

The nearest McDonald's, Burger King, Del Taco, Dunkin Donuts, etc. are located in West Lebanon. Unfortunately, a car or shuttle is needed to get there.

There are plenty of other options in town, however, including many places that deliver. Restaurant turnover is continual, but there are a few popular constants. Also, most restaurants that deliver on campus will flood the halls with menus at the beginning of each term. Hold on to them for reference for phone numbers, complete menus and hours.

The first phone number that most Dartmouth students memorize is that of EBAs, or Everything But Anchovies: 643-6135. EBAs serves mainly pizza and pasta dishes. The food is not exceptional, to say the least, but it is very fast and cheap and they are open for delivery until 2 a.m.

But EBAs isn't the only pizza joint in town. Alex Morgan '95 said, "Q's of Chicago definitely has the best pizza in town." It is more expensive, though. C & A's and Foodee's fall somewhere in between the two, and all four deliver.

Panda House is a great Chinese restaurant that is worth trying, if for no other reason than for its amazing service and inexpensive prices.

"The lunch specials are much better than anything at DDS for the same price," Jeff Gibberstein '95 said.

Murphy's Tavern, Five Olde Nugget Alley and Peter Christian's all have basic menus at fairly reasonable prices.

Molly's Balloon serves American, Mexican and a few Oriental dishes. The more expensive restaurants in town include Cafe Buon Gustaio and The Ivy Grill in the Hanover Inn. The Ivy Grill lets you charge a terrific meal on your college I.D. Check out page 16 for more food options in the area