Gamma Delt faces trial

Gamma Delta Chi fraternity will defend itself in court next month against charges that brothers in the house served alcohol to underage guests at a Spring term party.

According to Grafton County Attorney Ward Scott, a corporation found guilty of these charges under state law can be fined a maximum of $100,000.

"We feel that we are innocent," said Gamma Delt President Todd Brackett '95, who said he could not discuss the details of the case.

According to Gamma Delt corporation President Jeff Neuman '82, Hanover police picked up three underage town residents on Main Street and determined they had been drinking.

The police found reason to believe the three were served at a Gamma Delt party that night, the first weekend of Spring term.

"We strenuously deny these allegations," Neuman said.

In accordance with Dartmouth's alcohol policy, a paid door monitor, trained by the Interfraternity Council, was at the party to checks IDs and give bracelets to anyone of legal drinking age.

"As far as I know, they didn't get in through the front door," said Chris Donley '95, IFC Council Social Chair and the door monitor that night. "As far as I know they were never in the house."

Donley is a witness in the upcoming trial and said he could not comment further.

This is the first legal action involving underage drinking at a fraternity since the new alcohol policy took effect Winter term. Donley said the new policy makes no difference in the case.

The suit was filed by the State of New Hampshire and came about at the instigation of the town of Hanover,according to Neuman. In May, a grand jury returned three indictments, meaning the suit would proceed.

The trial is scheduled for early August, but Gamma Delt is requesting the court date be moved back to the fall.