Dartmouth's mean, green social scene

So, you're coming to Dartmouth. Why? For most of you, part of the answer probably lies in the academics and part in the location.

Nestled in the Connecticut River Valley, far from bustling cities like Boston and New York, Hanover, New Hampshire is NOT a city that never stops. As a newcomer, you may be wondering what exactly people do for fun out here in the "sticks!" What is the social scene like at Dartmouth?

Since the College is surrounded by the "Great Outdoors," nature and outdoor activities are a source of entertainment for many students. In the warmer months, hanging out by the River, hiking, playing ultimate frisbee on the Green or just basking in the sunshine offer many opportunities to meet people, not to mention get lots of free food from countless barbecues!

During the colder months, skiing, sledding, ice skating and working on the ice sculpture bring shivering undergraduates together.

According to Lisa Kocian '94, who skied for the first time in New Hampshire, "It was really fun! But, don't be deceived by March in New Hampshire," she said, recalling her intense sunburn from skiing over spring break. "Guys were skiing in shorts only!"

At Dartmouth, Mother Nature reigns supreme.

That may all be wonderful. But, you ask, what do people do at night?

Well, to soothe those muscles after a hard day of skiing, students can unwind in a "warm and relaxing" hot tub ($22.50 for two persons per hour) or they can maintain their tans in tanning beds ($1 per five minutes), Hanover Hot Tubs' owner Tony Perrone said.

Others may prefer to remain on campus, dancing the night away at various fraternity parties on campus.

Though the Greek system is strong at Dartmouth, as is evident every weekend from the loud music oozing from windows and doors of various fraternities, Hanover and the surrounding area manage to supply a great number of cultural and artistic options to students.

The Nugget Theater in Hanover screens many of the most recent movies, as does the Lebanon Cinemas movie theater in West Lebanon, though you need a car to get there.

Other popular hangouts include the new Dirt Cowboy Cafe for coffee addicts, Murphy's Tavern and Peter Christian's restaurant for those who like light, casual meals, Ben & Jerry's for ice cream lovers, and Everything But Anchovies (otherwise known as EBAs) and Harry's Truck Stop for late night munchers.

The Dirt Cowboy Cafe's Bohemian-esque student atmosphere disappeared along with the former owner and was replaced by the current, regular old deli, sit down and chat environment.

For good American cuisine, Murphy's, which boasts its "great food and spirits," offers lunch specials which change monthly. For those 21 and over, Murphy's has a great pub.

Peter Christian's has great soups and sandwiches for light eating. On sunny days, PCs opens up a terrace area for those who wish to avoid the dark, secluded basement atmosphere.

A favorite place where students often reunite with first-year trip buddies and gather with their Undergraduate Advisor group is Ben & Jerry's. Known for its Vermonster, a heaping mound of various flavors of ice cream or frozen yogurt covered with tons of toppings (all your choosing), this desert can satisfy anyone's sugar cravings.

EBAs offers students the only late night eating option within walking distance of campus. Two positive aspects of EBAs are its abilities to accommodate large numbers of students and its infinite amount of all-you-can-eat pastas every night, complete with garlic bread ($4.95).

For those students with transportation, a quick trip to Lebanon offers a different experience, a far cry from an ivy-league atmosphere, at Harry's Truck Stop.

"You must go after 2 a.m. because it has a totally different atmosphere. Order Flatbed Special #1 because it's the most bang for your buck in the Upper Valley," Sandy Paul '95, one of Harry's many customers, said.

Again, the more mobile can explore Cactus Jack's country western dance bar or do some bowling or roller-skating outside of Hanover.

The Astrobowl in West Lebanon is "very New Hampshirish. Lots of locals go there. There are plenty of lanes except on league nights. They have everything you need and all you have to do is bring money!" Greg Park '94 said.

Finally, if the trees are closing in on you, try a road trip -- if you can get your hands on a car, that is! Otherwise try public transportation, though it takes more time. Boston is just over two hours away, New York City just over four and Montreal just a short ride to the North.

"Boston's just like any other city," Andrew Hyman '94 said. "You can go shopping and there are lots of clubs to go to. You can sometimes catch a free concert at the Hatch Shell, an outdoor park."

According to Jennifer Groven '94, who was a frequent Boston visitor her freshman year, "It's a nice place to look around, to explore on your own. The Aquarium is a must! Every time I go, it's different."

So new members of the Dartmouth community, have no fear. Despite the seclusion of the small town, the trees, the mountains, the lakes, the rivers and the College itself offer a full social calendar so you'll never be bored, unless you choose to be.

And you thought you had fun in high school. Well maybe but get ready for the big league. It's now time to broaden your horizons, to have new experiences and to really grow as a person. Welcome to college social life.

You'll probably spend your first few weekend nights wandering around with herds of other first-year students, feeling clueless and looking for things to do. Do not fear! There are innumerable social options at Dartmouth. Soon enough, you'll look back on your embarrassing position as part of a 'shpack (one of the aforementioned herds) and laugh. You'll have so many things to do on a Friday night that you won't be able to decide ...

• Dorm Parties -

During Freshman Week, the social option that dominates many first-year students' lives is dorm parties. If you don't mind crowded hallways and waiting a long time to get beer (for those of you who are over 21, of course; -- getting caught entails an alcohol violation and a meeting with the Dean of Freshmen), these gatherings can be a great time. They're a super way to meet people; don't hesitate to be friendly and to introduce yourself.

"We used to have Monday night parties called 'Monday Madness' from 10 to 12," Jen Javornik '95 said. "We'd all cram into a Wheeler dorm room and always at the end of the night, we'd play Grease and sing 'Summer Loving.'"

Dorm parties are also some of the few events of your Dartmouth career (other than sophomore summer) where you may see most of your class gathered in one place at one time. Enjoy them while you can!

• Greek Life -

According to the College, first-year students can't legally see a fraternity basement complete with mung (see page 20) until Winter term. Some of you may be tempted to try to weasel your way into frat parties during the fall, but to be honest, these efforts are usually a waste of time. By the time any lying, cajoling and name-dropping may have worked to get you in the door, you'll have found that you feel pretty out of place anyway.

Beth Wilson '95 advises waiting until winter. "It's stupid because if you get into a fraternity, you don't know anyone. You definitely want to have one term of bonding with your class."

Wandering around frat row in the cold is tiring and frustrating, and besides, "you'll have plenty of chances to go to fraternities in the next four years," Wilson said. Stick with dorm parties during the fall.

• Student Activities -

Not every Dartmouth social event revolves around alcohol: in fact, there are plenty of alcohol-free options.

"Frats are the main part of the social system, but there's always other stuff to do if you don't want to hang out there," Ashley Stedfield '95 said.

The Programming Board sponsors lots of fun possibilities ranging from dances to Raves (roving parties) and hypnotists.

In past years, the Programming Board sponsored Dana Carvey, 10,000 Maniacs and the comedy team Penn and Teller.

Eleazar's Dungeon Comedy Club and Hovey's Pub, which features local musical talent in the basement of Thayer Dining Hall each Friday and Saturday night, are also well-attended options.

• Collis Student Center -

The Collis Student Center's scheduled opening in March of 1994 will add tremendously to the options available to students.

"I think Collis is going to be that place where you can go when you have no idea what you want to do," Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia said. "It will be an informal space outside your home where you can meet your friends and see what you want to do."

The new Collis will include a spacious students' lounge, an expanded conference room and a refurbished common ground to increase the seating capacity from 380 to 600 people.

In addition, for students who wish to work on a paper using their Powerbook portable computer, the lounge will have computer jacks. Then, if students wish to call the 'rents (see page 20) during their study break, Collis will provide charge card telephones.

And for some serious amusement, the basement of College Hall, which is adjacent to Collis, will house a pub that will feature live music, Sateia said. The basement will also include a billiards room, arcade game room and television room. Students will also be able to withdraw money from an automatic teller machine in the basement.

• Dorm Events -

Dormitory clusters sponsor small events, such as "L.A. Law Study Breaks," and presentations by campus a cappella and drama groups.

The Untamed Shrews is a women's group which performs a series of "very moving" dramatic sketches and other short pieces, according to Claudia Ginsberg '95.

A cappella groups at Dartmouth are particularly popular. If you see a sign for the Decibelles, the Rockapellas, the Aires or the Dodecs, be sure to go. And arrive on time to get a good seat.

Clusters plan other fun events such as weekend brunches for $1 and dorm formals for those who enjoy the finer things in life.

"Breakfast for a buck in the River was the best!" Lauren Lieberman '95 said. "We used to watch cartoons and talk about the [previous] night."

Usually not more than an hour in duration, dorm events provide an excellent opportunity to mingle with other first-year and upperclass students. They also are the perfect procrastination technique and some of the most enjoyable aspects of dorm life.

If you just want to veg, there's always the TV in the lounge which has cable and usually a VCR (Warning: If you bring a TV, you won't have cable in your room!). But, you will find that on this active campus, life does not stop for Melrose Place, even though it stars Andrew Shue '89!

• Sports Events -

For those who prefer being outdoors, weekend football, soccer, hockey and other games permit ample time to socialize and show school spirit.

During Saturday afternoon football games, practically the whole freshmen class stands (not sits) together, wearing their green class shirts (purchased at the Co-Op on Main Street in Hanover) and cheering lustily. The alma mater and insults to the opposing team are recurring themes.

Tradition holds that first-year students are supposed to rush the field during half-time, charging in one grand mass to form their class number and then to stampede the enemy stands and sing the alma mater at top volume.

The College administration has banned this ritual in recent years and uses video cameras to track offenders (see page 4). Nevertheless, each fall a few men and women risk arrest ( some end up at the police station) and race across the field amid the enthusiastic shouts of other students.

Mike McClure '94 recounted one football game he attended during his freshman year. "After the Yale Homecoming Game, we had a huge mud fight on the 50-yard line, went to President Freedman's house to sing the alma mater then jumped in the river," he said.

• Dartmouth Outing Club -

A final way to meet people and to enjoy the beautiful White Mountain area is through the Dartmouth Outing Club. Get involved in this amazing campus organization early on; you may regret it later if you don't.

The DOC runs all sorts of hiking and camping excursions, of which you'll get a taste during your first-year trips (see page 7). Other activities include fishing, canoeing and rock climbing.

"Really explore what there is to do around here, the outdoorsy stuff," Lisa Kocian '94 recommended.

Students can rent a DOC cabin for a night. A day hike followed by a night roasting marshmallows and huddling in a sleeping bag could comprise some of your favorite Dartmouth memories.

Alison Cook '95 said climbing Mt. Moosilauke in minus 20 degree weather and spending the night in a cabin "was a blast."

The DOC has a table at registration and meetings are advertised at the beginning of each term. Go on an outing early in the fall. Sign up with friends or plan to meet some fun new ones.

Dartmouth really does offer a plentitude of social options. A varied social life is a key (see page 20) part of the college experience. Work hard, play hard, keep an open mind and you will have an unforgettable freshman year!

Above all, "meet as many people as you can, don't be lame, never be safe (within reason)," Steve Gord '95 said. "College is the time to be crazy!"