Trustees appointed; Three women on 16-member board

Dartmouth's Trustees officially named two journalists to the Board at their spring meeting Commencement weekend and announced that a former Trustee will serve a special two year term.

David Shribman '76, the Washington bureau chief for The Boston Globe and Susan Dentzer '77, economic columnist and chief economic correspondent for U.S. News and World Report now occupy the seats vacated by Lisle Carter Jr. '45 and Robert Douglass '53 who have served the maximum two five-year terms.

Shribman has covered national politics for 15 years as a reporter for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Boston Globe, covering the last four presidential campaigns.

"I am delighted to welcome David Shribman to the board," College President James Freedman said shortly after the appointment. "As a journalist covering national politics and public affairs, and through his involvement with many areas of the College, David brings a perspective on numerous issues that will be of particular value to the College and the Board of Trustees."

Shribman serves on the board of visitors of the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences and on the College's Public Affairs Advisory Committee. He has also served as a member of the editorial advisory board of the Dartmouth Alumni Magazine.

Reached by phone at The Globe's Washington bureau, Shribman said he was on deadline and declined to comment.

Of the Board's 16 members, seven are nominated by alumni while another seven are charter members selected by the Board itself. The other two seats are filled by the College President and the Governor of New Hampshire.

Shribman was selected as a charter Trustee. In April, Dentzer became the first woman in Dartmouth history to be nominated by the alumni to sit on the Board.

"It is the ultimate honor and ultimate challenge to come back 20 years after I matriculated and 16 years after I graduated to help chart the institution's future," Dentzer said.

Looking back on the Dartmouth of old, Dentzer said she believes the progress for women has been astounding. "There are so many things that say that this is a good place for women to go, which was not always the case when I was there" she said. "There are very few obvious reminders of the old all-male Dartmouth."

The Board reinstated former Trustee Ann Fritz Hackett '76 for a special two-year term to fill the seat vacated by Robert Reich '68, who resigned in January to serve as President Bill Clinton's Labor Secretary.

Hackett, who sat on the board from 1982 to 1992 is presently the Vice President of Strategic Planning Associates, a management consulting firm.

The addition of Dentzer and the reintroduction of Hackett to the Board marks the highest number of female members in Dartmouth history. The third woman on the Board is Kate Stith-Cabranes '73.

The Board also officially announced E. John Rosenwald Jr. '52, as its new chairman. Rosenwald is vice-chairman of the Bear Stearns Companies Inc., the eighth largest investment banking company in the world. As Trustee Chair he replaces I. Michael Heyman '51, who finished his 11th year on the Board.

Rosenwald, who has been a member of the Board for the last seven years has been chair of The Will to Excel capital campaign since it began in November 1991. Richard Page '54, a Trustee and former vice-chair of the campaign will now chair the campaign.