Speaker attacks efforts for gay rights

In a controversial discussion last night addressing the role of gays in society, Dr. Ernest van den Haag attacked efforts to pass legislation protecting the civil rights of homosexuals.

A divided audience gathered in 105 Dartmouth Hall to watch Van den Haag's speech, which was sponsored by the Hopkins Institute and the Dartmouth Speakers Union.

Before the speech, students who support homosexual rights hung a huge pink triangle, the symbol of the gay rights movements, from the cupola atop Dartmouth Hall.

Inside, the audience of about 75 people was split almost evenly in its reaction to van den Haag's speech. Most politely applauded while many others denounced his views and openly mocked him.

Van den Haag said gay rights legislation would benefit only lawyers because of the wave of job discrimination suits that he said would follow.

There is currently no widespread housing and employment discrimination, according to van den Haag. He said gays are not forced to live in ghettos and tend to have higher average incomes than heterosexuals.

Van den Haag defended employment discrimination against homosexual public school teachers. He said parents should have the right to decide whether or not gays be allowed to teach their children since their taxes support the schools.

But he did say that gays should be allowed to serve in the military, provided they do not make an issue of their sexuality.

Van den Haag said efforts to legalize gay marriages are motivated by a hidden agenda to compel society to accept that homosexuality is as legitimate as heterosexuality.