Reshaping a message; In second race, Harrison turns to special interest groups for support

Student Assembly presidential candidate Mark Harrison '94 has reshaped his campaign in preparation for Thursday's special election by making specific promises to different minority groups on campus.

Last Thursday Harrison won the endorsement of the Afro-American Society, the College's black students' organization, after delineating seven points in his platform which will support and augment black student life at Dartmouth.

Harrison is the only black candidate in the race for Assembly President. The AAm did not endorse a candidate in the original election, partly because Harrison, who finished third, had refused to offer black voters specific promises.

"I am not running as a black man," Harrison said when he first entered the race in early March. Harrison said yesterday that he is still not using his color as a campaign focus.

But he said he has had to plan a "more aggressive campaign" because his initial effort to reach the student body had failed.

"My identity is not just limited by being a black male," he said. "I am endorsed by the AAm, my campaign people have talked with the AAm."

Two members of the AAm who are working on Harrison's campaign have produced a pro-Harrison flyer, announcing the AAm's endorsement, which lists seven campaign promises.

Copies of the flyer were found in the photocopy machine in the debate club office in Robinson Hall and brought to The Dartmouth. Copies have also been distributed in Cutter-Shabazz Hall, where the AAm is located.

Harrison is a former member of the debate team and several of his campaign workers are still on the team.

The flyer, headlined the "Agenda for the Black Community at Dartmouth," said Harrison would make the Assembly take a more active role in issues involving black students.

The flyer says Harrison will "utilize Student Assembly resources to increase black student, faculty and administrator recruitment."

It also said Harrison will "ensure the creation of foreign study programs to Kenya, Ghana and Nigeria," increase representation of black students on Assembly committees, "push for the establishment of a full-time director and lecture series for the Shabazz African-American Center" and "increase Student Assembly co-sponsorships with AAm for speakers, Black History Month Celebration and social events."

Harrison said these issues are just part of his campaign platform which is based on the pillars of education and diversity.

During the first campaign, Harrison said his original platform was based on general student concerns. "Now I'm addressing a lot of other issues," he said.

Harrison said he did not limit his efforts to the AAm. "I'm trying to get in touch with everyone, I'm talking to different groups on campus," he said.

He said he approached the Korean American Student Association and the Dartmouth Gay and Lesbian Organization.

Songwoo Lee '94, said Eugene Park '94, one of Harrison's campaign leaders, approached him and presented a platform addressing KASA concerns, including the creation of a Korean-language program.

"We're not supporting any one candidate," Lee said. "We're willing to present to our members what candidates views are in relevant issues."

Harrison said the change in strategy is an elaboration on his pledge to increase diversity at the College.

"I'm confident that what I'm doing is right," Harrison said.