Fishing season; Upper Valley area offers many prime spots

Students and local fishing enthusiasts have already taken to river, pond and stream despite a fishing season that has started slowly, and with a little help from the weather, fish should soon be jumping at hooks all over the Upper Valley.

Harley McAllister '94, co-president of the Bait and Bullet Club said the club has begun its fly fishing road trips on the weekends.

The best fly fishing in the area is in Vermont, according to McAllister, who recommended that people interested in fishing in the area buy a Vermont fishing license rather than a New Hampshire license.

Roger Lowell, who works for Mink Brook Outfitters Inc. in West Lebanon, said if the weather gets warmer, the season should pick up within the next week.

Lowell recommended the Baker, Mascoma and White Rivers for trout fishing in New Hampshire. He said Black Wooly-Buggers and Garden Hackles work well as lures.

For those who prefer to fish in Vermont, McAllister said that the Ompompanoosuc River, the Ottauqueeche River and the Connecticut River have good fishing.

Since it is still early in the season and not many bugs are coming up from the water, McAllister suggested fishing enthusiasts might even try bait. He recommended the Muddler Minnow, which has worked well so far this season, and different nymph patterns, such as the Hare's Ear. For fly fishing, one needs to check which types of bugs rise from the water to see what lure will be most successful, McAllister added.

Randy Tennant '95, who began fly fishing with the Bait and Bullet Club last spring, has fished several times this term. He said the Ottaqueeche was recently stocked with fish near Woodstock, so "there are a lot of dumb fish for people to catch."

He has found Stonefly Nymphs successful, and said the season is picking up.

Although Lowell said approximately 60 percent of fisherpeople in the area keep what they catch, McAllister and Tennant throw their fish back. Tennant said he heard the fish from White River should not be eaten.

A New Hampshire or Vermont fishing license costs $35 for non-residents and is less expensive for residents.