Alpha Theta works to fund scholarship

Each fall and spring, members of Alpha Theta co-ed house do jobs through the Dickey Endowment, such as rake leaves, stack wood, wash cars and clean out garages to benefit the Alpha Theta scholarship.

The $1,000 Alpha Theta scholarship is awarded once a year to an undergraduate with an interest in some aspect of international relations and studies.

Last year's winner, Tamara Norman '94, used the money for travel and living expenses in the former Soviet Union where she spent Winter term translating children's books into English.

Alpha Theta President Michael Stodghill '94 calls the Dickey jobs "a house bonding experience."

House members often complain about doing Dickey jobs, Stodghill said. But he said they don't mind too much because they know they're working for a good cause.

Heather Chase '93 said the Dickey jobs are "like freshman trips. It's bonding through hell."

Angela Lee '93 said she enjoyed her first Dickey job. "I'm from New York City, so working outdoors was unreal to me. It was nice to be outside, but I could not believe all the wood we stacked."

The jobs are organized by Alpha Theta Vice President Tim Hozier '95 who sends out flyers to the Dartmouth community. Workers are mostly available for two to three hour shifts and are usually paid $9 per hour, which goes directly to the scholarship fund.

This year's winner will be selected today from six applicants.

Former College President John Sloan Dickey '29, for whom the Endowment is named, was a member of Theta Chi fraternity which became Alpha Theta in 1953.

The Dickey Endowment is an organization dedicated to involving the Dartmouth community in international relations by holding conferences and hosting guest speakers.