AD's party is the weekend centerpiece

Dartmouth is a college of traditions.

Alpha Delta fraternity's highly popular annual Green Key party is a big part of that tradition.

This weekend, like in years past, AD will have their raging party on their front lawn with two bands and drunk College students.

AD's Green Key weekend party has become, in recent years, one of the most popular parties on campus during this weekend. It has become, in fact, synonymous with the weekend.

Although many of the Greek houses on campus hold their own events, AD's in past years has been the most talked about and the most crowded.

Anthrax played on AD's lawn in 1982 and in 1988 students tuned into the ever popular music of Blues Traveler.

"That was the year that gave us the push to be the cool party to come to," Trey Laird '93, former vice president of the house, said.

Laird said what really makes AD's party the best is all the alumni who return to Hanover for the weekend.

"All the '90 and '91 [AD brothers] came back for Green Key," he said. "It exemplifies their socializing in their college careers. We have an alum up already. He took a week off from his job for the weekend."

"It's definitely a highlight of the weekend," said Senior Class President Doug Chia who is a three year veteran of the AD party.

This weekend's party should not be any different than years past. Downtime, a Boston band, will be drumming up the excitement in the afternoon.

"They're a great band," Chia said. Downtime played last year at the party and at the 1989 Green Key weekend.

According to Chia, they play "all kinds of music."

Yolk will take over in the evening and keep the music and entertainment going.

Yolk is a funky campus band comprised of three Dartmouth students, two of whom are alumni. The band attracts a dedicated following.

Laird says he thinks the weather plays a "huge role in the success of the party." He said that last year's Greek Key party was the best.

"It was a beautiful day," he said. "All the alums were up and everybody was smashed."

The prayers for good weather have not changed. Paul Korfonta '86, former AD house president, said in 1985 to The Dartmouth, "If it rains, I don't know what the hell we're going to do."

AD will also have a contest for the best looking brother. Those contestants will stride topless on the outdoor porch.

As in years past, the front lawn will be roped off, Laird said. No one under 21 years of age will be allowed in the house.