A Trip to Worthy Burger

By By Katie Hake, The Dartmouth Staff | 7/23/14 11:02am

I’ve been hearing a ton of rave reviews recently about the renowned Worthy Burger, so this week I decided I had to try it out for myself. Located about a half hour’s drive from campus in South Royalton, Vermont, the restaurant has a slightly rustic vibe that is thankfully accompanied by three ceiling fans and an air conditioner inside. The Worthy Burger atmosphere is a friendly hum of activity: the bar scene was hopping as ragey 30-somethings turned down for draft beers on this Tuesday night, the air had the slight tinge of wood smoke and the sound of chattering customers filled the seating area.

After ordering at the counter and receiving my buzzer to alert me when my food would be ready, I sat down to wait for the results. My friend and I chose a quiet corner that boasted both a darts board and a framed picture of a woman holding a poodle with, inexplicably, the words “It Puts The Buzzer In The Basket” in red letters. Other pictures and paintings of various levels of normalcy took up the rest of the wall space. But enough about the décor — my food buzzer went off, and I wasn’t disappointed.

The Worthy Burger – with egg over-easy and cheddar cheese, fries on the side

I’m going to be completely honest here — I liked the fries more than the burger. It could be that I’m just a sucker for a good, crispy French fry (the seasoning was also delicious), but I’ve also had better burgers in my 20 years. The toppings were the perfect finish, though; I’ve never had an egg on a cheeseburger before, but in my completely inexpert opinion, I think Worthy Burger does it right.

Rhubarb Strawberry Shortcake with Whipped Cream

This was a nice, light addition to the main meal. I liked the slight tangy taste that the rhubarb added. Didn’t blow me away, but still tasty.

Verdict: The burger was *worthy*of the drive. Was that a *cheesy* joke? I know, I’m hilarious.

In all seriousness, sophomore summer is the perfect time to make the trip to South Royalton. Walking across the parking lot on a clear night, I could clearly see thousands of stars dotting the sky above. And whether you sit indoors or out on the covered patio in the summertime air, Worthy Burger will make your experience worth it.

By Katie Hake, The Dartmouth Staff