Muzicka charms Collis with traditional Czech melodies

By Heather Szilagyi, The Dartmouth Staff | 7/25/13 4:00am

Dozens of community members gathered in front of Collis Wednesday evening, eager to listen to the colorfully dressed and enthusiastic Czech music ensemble Muzicka, which is on its debut trip to the United States.

Violins, a viola and a bass strummed lively tunes alongside a clarinet and a flute, but the center of attention was the cimbal, a traditional Eastern European folk instrument that a casual observer might mistake for a table. The musician strikes the strings stretched across the table’s top with small beaters, creating traditional Eastern European folk music. The group is called a cimbalovka in Czech, meaning an ensemble focused on the cimbal.

The band’s playful costumes and spirited songs piqued the interest of passing students who stopped to watch and snap photos on their phones before continuing on their way or settling in to listen to the group over Collis stir-fry.

Violinist Elizabeth Shribman ’10 is participating in Muzicka’s 25-day tour of the Northeast. Shribman speaks fluent Czech and lives in the Czech Republic.

Despite the band’s lack of English lyrics, the crowd continued to grow as two members of the group began to run and skip in traditional dance.

Lexi Krupp ’15 said she was happy to see the community come together for the event and commented that the musician’s costumes would make great flair.

“I was happily surprised to find them playing,” she said. “I thought the dancing and costumes were funny and the music was great.”

Massachusetts resident Carl Barnard also came to see Shribman in the concert, and although hadn’t seen the group perform before he said he was entertained by the music.

Some audience members stayed behind after the group had finished performing to chat with the ensemble and purchase CDs from the group’s last live concert.

According to their program, most of Muzicka’s members have been singing, dancing and playing folk music together from a young age.

Muzicka typically accompanies a large folk ensemble in Prague called Rosenka, in addition to performing in their own concerts, leading educational shows for children, and playing at traditional celebrations in Prague’s historical center.

Heather Szilagyi, The Dartmouth Staff