Fall Term Bucket List

Welcome back to campus, Dartmouth! From the hints of orange, yellow and red on the trees to the crispness and coolness of the air, it is evident that 18F is finally upon us. Fall is my personal favorite season of the year. I’m a sucker for peak foliage, exciting activities and tasty treats. I have crafted a list of some must-dos on campus and around town this season. Trust me, once you start checking these items off of your Dartmouth bucket list, you’ll soon be wishing fall term would go by a little bit slower (if you weren’t thinking that already).

1. Go leaf peeping

Love “aww”-ing over the pretty trees during this time of year? There’s a word for that: leaf peeping. Leaf peeping is when people travel around New England for the sole purpose of viewing the changing colors of the leaves. Lucky for us, we don’t have to travel far to see some nice foliage — just head over to Wilder Hall or walk around Occom Pond to see the most Instagram-worthy leaves of your life.

2. Hike Mount Moosilauke

Soak in the granite of New Hampshire and all of its glory on a nice fall afternoon hike in the mountains (or do a sunrise hike if that’s more your speed). Then have dinner and spend the night at the newly renovated Moosilauke Ravine Lodge. I can guarantee you that you will leave with beautiful views, plenty of laughs and countless memories that are sure to last a lifetime.

3. Go apple picking

Head over to the Riverview Farm for the most iconic fall time activity: apple picking. Once you find your ideal apple, remember not to tug it down; instead, twist it on its stem and then gently lift up. Also, don’t be fooled by the fake apples on the trees that are actually bug traps (I speak from experience).

4. Take a fall food tour around town

Hanover is the spot for those craving all things pumpkin spice and everything nice. Go to Lou’s for an apple cider donut (perhaps even during a Lou’s Challenge to kill two birds with one stone), treat yourself to some maple ice cream at Riverview Farm or hit up King Arthur Flour for a classic order of cider and cookies.

5. Carve a pumpkin

A nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon is to go to a pumpkin patch and wander around until you spot that picture-perfect pumpkin. Afterwards, get a group of friends together and start carving spooky faces for some instant room décor.

6. Go to a football game

Show your school spirit and support Dartmouth football as the players take on some of our biggest rivals this fall. Gather all of your friends, throw on your swankiest Dartmouth gear and cheer on the team to victory. Go Big Green!

7. Stargaze

I truly believe that Hanover’s stars are at their prime during the fall. There is just something about the crisp, chilly air blowing against you that really enhances the experience. Lie on the Green, go to the golf course or just look up as you’re walking back from the library at 2:00 am. Try to put your worries into perspective through the stars. Your problems at Dartmouth may seem a lot smaller when you remember the endless skies above you.

8. Explore The Hanover’s Farmer Market

Until mid-October, there is a farmer’s market on the Green every Wednesday afternoon from 3 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. where you can find fresh produce, baked goods and locally prepared foods. All of the vendors are pleasant to be around, and they will keep you both well-entertained and well-fed. The kettle corn station, which is rarely seen without a long line, is a personal favorite of mine and definitely well worth the wait. After class, support our local farmers and soak up all of Dartmouth’s beauty by buying plenty of fresh food and then picnicking on the Green. There is truly no better afternoon pick-me-up than a farm-to-table meal.

9. Make the most of Homecoming

Homecoming is probably Dartmouth at its finest. From the bonfire blazing on the Green, the unmatched school pride from students and the hundreds of alumni around campus, this big weekend reflects the best part of our school: its community. Class of 2022s, don’t skimp out on the running this year, and upperclassmen, don’t skimp out on the yelling.

10. Watch a scary movie

Check out the Nugget and the Hopkins Center for the Arts for the newest horror movie releases. If you’d rather watch a throwback, opt to get cozy in your dorm room with your best friends and some blankets. If you don’t have time to watch a movie, you can still have a scary night by doing some homework. Either way, don’t forget the popcorn.