Hanlon criticizes decision to end DACA

In a campus wide email sent Tuesday, College President Phil Hanlon criticized President Donald Trump’s decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, announced earlier that day.

Hanlon sent Trump a letter on Sept. 1 urging him to continue DACA, a policy instated by former President Barack Obama that allows undocumented immigrants who entered the country as minors to receive a reprieve from deportation and eligibility for a work permit.

“For the good of our nation, I urge you to continue DACA in its current form and to do everything in your power to defend it,” Hanlon’s letter stated.

Hanlon touted the contributions undocumented students have made to the academic community and nation as a whole.

Following Trump’s announcement, Hanlon stated in his Tuesday email that College officials will continue to advocate for DACA or similar legislation with members of Congress. He added that the College “will do everything in our power, within the bounds of the law,” to support community members most affected by potential immigration policy changes and “will continue to decline to disclose information about students except as required by law.”