Yuki Kondo-Shah
The Setonian
Opinion

Why SA Funded the Pow-Wow

The Student Assembly Constitution preamble directs the representative organization "to foster trust, understanding and communication between and among the members of the Dartmouth community, to provide for the support and development of all aspects of the educational process, to improve the quality of life at the College." The majority of the students in the Assembly, including myself, chair of the Diversity and Community Committee, believe that supporting the Native American Pow-Wow through participation and funding clearly fits these goals. This year's 35th annual Dartmouth Pow-Wow serves as an opportunity for members of both the Dartmouth and Upper Valley communities to observe, participate and learn from a broad representation of Native American dances, music and arts and crafts.

The Setonian
Opinion

Andreadis and the Press

Why is it that when underrepresented students on campus take the initiative to bring their issues into the mainstream College dialogue they are automatically dismissed as rabble-rousers? The Dartmouth's egregiously inadequate news and editorial coverage of Tim Andreadis '07's overwhelming victory in the Student Assembly election is an insult to the 1,025 voters who wrote him in as their first choice for student body president. Andreadis was able to form a coalition of different communities on campus and highlight under-discussed yet pressing issues, such as sexual assault and rates of minority/women faculty retention.

The Setonian
Opinion

Defending Affirmative Action

Some of the points Zachary Goldstein made in his recent article in "In admissions, many get 'special' attention" (The Dartmouth, May 13), on admit rates for students of color are off the mark.

More articles »