Dartbeat Asks: How Did You Spend Your Spring Break?

| 4/1/15 7:01am

Welcome back, Dartmouth! Whether you traveled home, stayed in Hanover or embarked on a trip over spring break, hopefully you enjoyed those weeks. Dartbeat asked around campus to discover other students’ experiences over break. From ASBs to a heavy dose of relaxation and everything in between, students had an amazing range of adventures.

“The highlights included sleeping under the stars every night, not showering for 11 days, getting phenomenal views every five minutes, exploring unmapped canyons and having a blast getting to know each other and becoming lifetime friends,” Bernstein said.

Another DOC member, Dave Cavagnaro ’17, traveled with the Ledyard Canoe Club to Asheville, NC on the club’s annual spring trip. Those on the trip had the chance to partake in nearly daily whitewater kayaking trips on some of the most idyllic rivers in the U.S., he said.

“For me, it’s really an amazing experience to not only go kayaking with a bunch of my best friends, but also to grow closer with a lot of great students and alums,” Cavagnaro said.

Francesca Governali ’18 and other members of the crew team traveled to Oak Ridge, Tennessee for 11 days to train for their upcoming season. Given that the team had indoor training in the winter and the river is still frozen, Governali said they enjoyed the opportunity to get back in boats.

Alternative Spring Breaks (ASBs) through the Tucker Foundation have always been a popular option for students as well. Lauren Budd ’18 went to the Dominican Republic for 10 days with the program, where they helped build a community center in San Cristobal.

Budd most enjoyed the opportunity to build relationships with local community members despite language barriers and traveling to areas of the country that most tourists skip, she said.

And of course, there’s always the more laidback approach to spring break. Floormates Kat Gilroy ’18 and Paige Mickel ’18 vacationed together with other friends in Miami, FL. The best part of their vacation? Escaping the “-20 degree temperatures of Hanover,” according to Gilroy.

For some, though,, staying within the country’s borders wasn’t quite warm enough. Fiona Bowen ’18 traveled even further south on a trip to Colombia with her family for a week of lying beachside, visiting historical sites and snorkeling. All standard Dartmouth activities, of course.

For some students, it was the simpler pleasures of break that became the best part. Reconnecting with a high school best friend was the clear highlight for Aaron Cheese ’18. He visited his friend at Georgetown University before returning home to Atlanta.

The standard Euro-trip was yet another popular option for students, as it often is. Mike Colon ’18 journeyed overseas to visit the breathtaking Italian cities of Venice, Florence and Rome. We’re pretty sure Collis pasta is a rough transition after he finished eating his way through these culinary cities.

Yet another option that many students forget is to stay hyper-local for break. Although most students are able to leave as soon as finals finish, international students often find themselves staying on campus over interims. Plus, being around campus without other students gives ample time for recharging and reflecting.

“The deserted campus over the break gives me the much needed time and space for introspection and connecting with myself,” said Hassan Kiani ’16.

Budd is a member of The Dartmouth staff.