Around the Ivies

By Irene Cofie, The Dartmouth Staff | 3/10/15 8:29am

Brown University: Last Friday, Brown University held its first “IvyG” conference, intended to promote reflection on ways to improve the college experience of first-generation students, according to the Brown Daily Herald. Nearly 250 students attended the conference, the Daily Herald reported, with an additional 50 university administrators traveling to Providence, Rhode Island. Eric Waldo, the executive director of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Reach Higher Initiative, gave the conference’s keynote address.

Cornell University: Facing a budget deficit of $55 million in its provost’s office, Cornell University will decrease the budgets of all its colleges and administrative units by $27.5 million, according to the Cornell Daily Sun. The deficit, which arose due to overfunding by the office, has existed for the last five years. Cornell as a whole is not running a deficit.

Harvard University: Harvard’s New Research Building suffered the loss of $14,000 worth of lab and research equipment last week, the Harvard Crimson reported. According to the Harvard University Police Department, the loss of the equipment is still an open investigation. An exact list of missing equipment and impacted labs remained unknown to the public at the time of writing.

Princeton University: Twenty-eight Princeton University seniors are running in the primary election to serve as the University’s Young Alumni Trustee for the Class of 2015, the Daily Princetonian reported. The top three vote-getters will advance to a larger-voting pool — seeking to win votes not only from their own class but also from the Classes of 2013, 2014 and 2016 — with the winner serving a four-year term on the University’s Board of Trustees.

University of Pennsylvania: Students interviewed at the University of Pennsylvania about longer and more comprehensive version of the Medical College Admission Test primarily expressed support for the changes, according to the Daily Pennsylvanian. In its new edition, the MCAT will contain 230 questions, up from its pre-2015 tally of 144.

Yale University: Yale University has increased its allocation of cash assets from 1.6 percent to 3.5 percent, according to the University’s 2014 Endowment Update. According to the Yale Daily News, the report did not specify a reason for the increase.

Irene Cofie, The Dartmouth Staff