Around the Ivies

By Fiona Ewing, The Dartmouth Staff | 5/8/14 12:00pm

Brown University: A newly-formed task force on sexual assault will submit recommendations by December for improving prevention efforts, campus resources and university policies, the Brown Daily Herald reported. In addition, the university will seek a full-time Title IX coordinator to assume the responsibilities of three existing part-time coordinators.

Columbia University: The body of dental student Jiwon Lee was found in the Hudson River on Sunday, the Columbia Spectator reported. The death was ruled a suicide. Lee suffered from depression and had previously attempted suicide before her disappearance, which was reported on April 2.

Cornell University: A team led by seniors Ray Li and Michael Ndubuisi developed musical gloves, the Cornell Daily Sun reported. The gloves, which allow the wearer to play any instrument, employ sensors and emit prepared loops of sound.

Harvard University: At Tuesday’s monthly faculty meeting, members of the faculty of arts and sciences approved Harvard’s first-ever honor code, the Harvard Crimson reported. Soon, Harvard will require students to affirm their adherence to the code, which will formalize expectations of academic integrity. Yale University is now the only Ivy League institution that does not have an honor code.

Princeton University: Princeton was named one of 55 colleges under investigation for alleged Title IX violations, the Daily Princetonian reported. The Department of Education released the list of schools on Thursday as part of a White House initiative aimed at reducing the prevalence of sexual assault on college campuses.

University of Pennsylvania: Penn’s Class of 2018 has a yield rate of 66 percent, the highest since the rate for the Class of 2011, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported. This marks a slight increase from the 63 percent of accepted students who chose to enroll last year.

Yale University: Sarah Mahurin was chosen from a pool of over 80 candidates to be the next dean of Timothy Dwight Residential College, the Yale Daily News reported. Mahurin, the first female dean of the residential college, will replace dean John Loge, who will retire after serving in the position for 23 years.

Fiona Ewing, The Dartmouth Staff