Around the Ivies

By Samantha Webster, The Dartmouth Staff | 3/6/14 12:15pm

BROWN UNIVERSITY: International students comprise 17 percent of Brown’s applicant pool for the Class of 2018, the highest in the university’s history, the Brown Daily Herald reported. Domestically, the university also noted a jump in applicants from the West and Southwest. The Northeast, however, remains overrepresented.

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY: Despite student concerns regarding a rape crisis and anti-violence support center at Columbia, administrators currently do not plan to change the center’s policies, the Columbia Spectator reported. Students have critiqued the center’s requirement that students present identification to a desk attendant and explain where they are going, which hinders confidentiality.

CORNELL UNIVERSITY: Cornell Police issued three crime alerts to the community in the past week, including an alleged rape, a knife threat and a drug-induced assault, according to the Cornell Daily Sun. Police Chief Kathy Zoner said that the police force does not have a reason for the increased number of recent violent crimes.

HARVARD UNIVERSITY: Michael Bloomberg will deliver Harvard’s Commencement address this spring, the Harvard Crimson reported. Bloomberg graduated from Harvard Business School in 1966 after earning an undergraduate degree from Johns Hopkins University.

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY: Approximately 20 students were found responsible for plagiarism in a computer science course during the 2012-13 academic year, the Daily Princetonian reported. Lead instructor David Pritchard cited an increase in enrollment over the past several years as a possible cause of the spike in plagiarism.

UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA: After a petition to impeach student body president Abe Sutton reportedly fell one vote short in the Undergraduate Assembly, the student government failed to release a finalized budget for the next academic year, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported. The petition claimed that Sutton was more focused on the title than the responsibility of his position. The Undergraduate Assembly usually finalizes budget decisions before spring break so as to not conflict with election season.

YALE UNIVERSITY: Members of the Alcohol Recommendations Implementation Committee began meeting with students to collect feedback on recent alcohol initiatives aimed at reducing high-risk drinking, according to the Yale Daily News. The initiatives included asking the university to sponsor alcohol-free events and improve training on alcohol-related issues.

Samantha Webster, The Dartmouth Staff