Reactions To The Polar Bear Plunge

By Fiona Ewing | 2/10/14 6:00am

On Friday morning, dozens of members from the local community lined up on the ice of Occom Pond, prepared to participate in an infamous Dartmouth tradition: the polar bear plunge. Here are reactions from a few of those who were courageous enough to take the plunge.

Courtesy of Fiona Ewing

“I feel numb but satisfied.” – Catherine Kannam ’17

“I feel surprisingly warm and satisfied that I’ve participated in a Dartmouth tradition.” – government professor Michelle Clarke

“It’s chilly, it’s fresh and it’s fun.” – Madeline Brown ’16

“My reaction would be a curse word, so I don’t know if that’s okay. But yeah, it was worth it.” – Milan Huynh ’17

“When I was in the water, I was just focused on swimming to the other end and getting out because it was so cold. And so I didn’t immediately really realize what I had done. But it was cool knowing that I had done it, and then I look back at the beginning and saw people practically crying.” – Jared Boyce ’16

“My feet are slowly starting to feel frozen, but I can cross it off the bucket list.” – Christopher Given ’14

“I feel really good. It wasn’t that bad at all. My hands and feet are kind of numb, but I’m really happy I did it.” – Lily Lynch ’16

“I was very pumped up for it. When I was climbing up the ladder I felt like I was dying, but afterwards it was the best feeling in the world, knowing that I participated in a Dartmouth tradition.” – Hayley Snyder ’17

Fiona Ewing