Beyond the Bubble: Traveling with Technology

By Aditi Kirtikar, the Dartmouth Staff | 11/5/13 4:00am

Now, I will be the first to say that I am by no means tech-savvy. In fact, I’m quite terrible at it and if anything happens to any of my gadgets, my go-to method is to switch it on and off. If that doesn’t work, I go in to panic mode.

Being abroad, however, has given me a newfound appreciation for my iPhone. Traveling can be stressful, but throughout this term I’ve discovered some really handy apps. Even though my iPhone isn’t unlocked and only works with WiFi (pronounced WeeFee in Spain), using those precious 45 minutes wisely when you step into Starbucks will make your adventuring a whole lot easier.

I’m going to start with food, because that’s probably the most important. Nobody wants food poisoning while abroad (been there). This is probably the least useful app in Hanover — hello 5 dining options — but Yelp has been my savior in Spain. It’s even better on your phone than on your computer! Using GPS, it finds your location and then allows you to search for nearby restaurants, bars, cafés and more. It also has filters for price, rating, whether it’s open right now and even if it’s offering deals. Truly revolutionary. The TripAdvisor app functions similarly, but for more than just food.

If you’re in a non-English speaking country, download a dictionary app. I have SpanishDict and it works like a charm, even in airplane mode. I use it in class, on the streets, while I’m watching Spanish TV and pretty much anywhere I go.

A somewhat more obvious one for navigation is Maps, and also Google Maps. Both of which can actually find your location even when you aren’t connected to WiFi (really handy when you’ve gotten a bit bold with the wandering around and exploring but actually being lost thing). Downloading a Metro Map app of your city is also something I highly recommend. It has saved me from countless trips in the wrong direction, especially with the lines here being very similar in color (seriously, why are both L5 and L10 blue?).

A practical one is an app from your bank — a lot of them do this, and it’s super useful to have on your phone as well. Really handy to make sure there aren’t any sketchy transactions happening, especially when you might not have access to an actual computer for an extended period of time.

Be sure to have Find My iPhone downloaded and installed — pickpocketing is absolutely a thing (two people on my LSA have gotten theirs stolen) and this is one way to potentially make sure it isn’t gone forever. Potentially being the key word.

On a slightly less depressing note, use WhatsApp and Viber to keep in touch with everyone back home and at Dartmouth. I also love FaceTime even though the camera is always placed at a super awkward angle.

And amidst all this snazzy new stuff, let’s not forget the basics — take pictures of lots of things (including your flight/train/bus and hostel confirmations) with your camera and save them! Snapchat everyone you know and show them all the cool things you’re doing! Instagram literally everything you see! Tweet every time you reach a new location!

#youonlystudyabroadonce

Aditi Kirtikar, the Dartmouth Staff