Watching the Ivies

By Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff | 10/28/13 8:00am

Photo courtesy of the Columbia Spectator

BROWN: The body of Brown undergraduate student Michael Dawkins was found in Peru last week, as the Brown Daily Herald reported. Dawkins had been seen on Brown’s campus during the previous week. The circumstances explaining his death are currently unclear.

COLUMBIA: Columbia announced plans last week to construct a new building for the Nursing School, according to the Columbia Spectator. The new facility will provide 65 percent more space than the current building. Construction is scheduled to begin in late 2014.

CORNELL: Cornell pushed its early admission application deadline from Nov. 1 to Nov. 8 due to glitches on the Common Application’s website, according to the Cornell Sun. Applicants and high school guidance counselors reported issues with accessing the website’s fee payment system and completing recommendations. Other schools to extend their early admission deadlines include Dartmouth, Columbia, and Yale.

HARVARD: Harvard’s Office of Admissions and Financial Aid is launching an initiative to utilize social media in order to encourage low-income students to apply, according to the Crimson. The initiative, called the Harvard College Connection, will integrate social media with other forms of outreach to inform students about available options for colleges and financial aid. The program will aim to educate students about opportunities at both Harvard and selective colleges in general.

PRINCETON: Princeton was ranked 13th in Washington Monthly’s list of top national universities with the most graduates entering public service, as the Daily Princetonian reported. The data reported that 23.1 percent of Princeton graduates took jobs in public education, nonprofit organizations or government agencies between 2000 and 2010. Yale placed seventh on the list, and Harvard placed 12th.

UPENN: Penn will host former “Friends” star Matthew Perry as the Social Planning and Events Committee’s fall Connaissance speaker, according to the Daily Pennsylvanian. Perry, who previously struggled with drug and alcohol abuse, will discuss his experiences with addiction. The talk will take place in early November.

YALE: Yale held its October recess last week, as Yale Daily News reported. This marks the second year that Yale’s academic calendar has included a fall break. Yale’s Dean’s Office offered a limited number of sponsored social activities for students who remained on campus, including late-night bowling and discounted movie tickets.

Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff