Watching the Ivies: 10/15

By Irene Cofie | 10/15/13 4:00am

BROWN: Brown University has been hiding a talented musician and actor among its student population. Michael Weisman ’17 has been featured on the Disney Channel show “Ant Farm,” the TV Land series “Hot in Cleveland” as well as, most recently “The Glee Project,” the Brown Daily Herald reported. Weisman recalls his participation on “The Glee Project” as fun but competitive. Weisman’s love for the arts has not stopped at college, as he continues to perform at Brown as a member of the Jabberwocks.

COLUMBIA: Sexual assault debate swung into Columbia University’s campus on Oct. 11 as a panel discussed assault in the Muslim and South Asian communities. The Columbia Daily Spectator reported that students provided personal, touching stories through Tumblr. Their stories were presented to the community in an anonymous fashion. The event successfully allowed many to open up about their past in hopes of transcending over the difficulties of sexual assault recollections.

CORNELL: A Cornell Universityofficer reported being choked by an aggressive youth on Oct. 12. The Cornell Daily Sun reported that the police officer holds little injuries, but investigations continue to uncover the attacker behind this hostile event.

HARVARD: In our Dartmouth surroundings, it may (or may not) seem like the government shutdown is impacting our lifestyle. According to the Harvard Crimson, Harvard University students interested in government careers are feeling the after-effects of the shut down. Ironically, some students are even more encouraged to pursue government careers in order to better handle situations similar to our current government shutdown.

PRINCETON: Princeton University seems to offer different “hot” programs on its campus. Some events include theater productions such as a 24-Hour Play Festival and the showing of the production “Roshan’s 11,” the Daily Princetonian reported. Additionally, concerts and lectures are not uncommon to Princeton’s terrain. It appears Princeton and Dartmouth have some commonalities in relation to types of events held.

UPENN: Professors at the University of Pennsylvania are engineering structures using origami. More specifically, professors Randall Kamie and Shu Yan have been awarded a grant to use origami to research the make-up of nanostructures. The two faculty members will collaborate with Cornell professors to concoct geometric arrangements and other models for the progression of science using origami.

YALE: The Yale Daily News reported that the university has expanded its training for student leaders on campus. Open to all students, the training offers seminars such as “Financial Essentials for Student Organizations” and “Tweeting, Tumbling, Pinning and Posting.” Seminars are intended to help student leaders obtain the right resources to improve their roles in their organizations.

Irene Cofie