Granite United Way Supports Local Non-Profits, Encourages Service

By Erica Buonanno | 10/10/13 8:00am

College President Phil Hanlon’s wife, Gail Gentes, is the current co-chair of Dartmouth’s campaign for Granite United Way, a New Hampshire-based organization that fundraises for local nonprofits.

The College hopes to raise $300,000 by the end of the year for United Way. Gentes was appointed co-chair along with Geisel School of Medicine dean Wiley Souba.

“It’s a wonderful opportunity for Dartmouth to show their support of the community and be effective in strengthening the community,” saidDana Hanson, director of resource development for Granite United Way.

This year marks the 40th campaign for United Way, which partnered with the College in 1973 after the Tucker Foundation pledged to support local nonprofits.

United Way, which encompasses the central New Hampshire region, covers about 80 percent of New Hampshire.

Hanson said United Way will offer participating companies payroll deductions, which will allow employees to make donations over time.

“Employees pledge each year in the fall to have money come out of their paychecks through the next coming year, from January to December,” she said.

The number of Dartmouth staff and faculty who donated amounted to 490 employees last year. Of those volunteers, 230 people made donations by payroll deduction and the remainder made donations by credit card or check.

Last year, the College hosted the third largest campaign for United Way, and has raised over $6 million in 40 years. This year’s goal of $300,000 is the highest campaign goal so far.

“I think it’s really cool that the United Way can be a part of the greater community,” said Clarissa Li, a member of the Class of 2015 and a volunteer for WISE, a nonprofit that receives aid from United Way.

Marie Onakomaiya, a fifth-year PhD student at Geisel, said the College has made a huge contribution.

“Dartmouth plays a significant role in helping United Way reach their goals,” she said. “From the different forums I’ve heard Gail speak at, it’s definitely a positive thing that she’s involved.”

Hanson said she is optimistic that United Way will reach its fundraising goal.

“We feel very fortunate and privileged to partner with Dartmouth College and the wonderful volunteers on campus,” she said. “We just feel enormously grateful that we have the support of so many people here and that it really does make a difference.”

Erica Buonanno