Parody Twitter account kicks off Folt's tenure at UNC-Chapel Hill

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 4/11/13 6:45pm

Interim President Carol Folt will be leaving the College to serve as the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's chancellor on July 1st. The news was announced this morning.

The tweets are largely responses to congratulatory messages from news outlets and other legitimate Twitter accounts. The account's responses range from tame (That's ME!! MT @newsobserver BREAKING: Dartmouth's Carol Foit [sic]will be new chancellor at #UNC, according to 3 sources http://bit.ly/10Ph2Q0) to rowdy (You better have me a drink ready at Fridays on the Front Porch tomorrow! RT @CarolinaInn Welcome to Chapel Hill @chanfolt!)

Several local businesses and news outlets have treated the Twitter account as genuine, mentioning @ChanFolt in their messages of welcome and congratulations. Others caught on more quickly — UNC alumnus Chris Harrow tweeted "Ayo @chanfolt what's up girl?! Topo in you next weekend with ur new salary?? #sundayfunday," a reference to Top of the Hill Restaurant and Brewery, a local college bar. Many current students tweeted that they were pleased a parody account had been created so quickly.

The account has tweeted 16 times, and currently has 91 followers, mostly current UNC students and alumni. It is unclear whether the author of the tweets attends Dartmouth or UNC.

The Dartmouth Web Staff