Bean's Art Store thrives after 30 years in business

By Katherine Armstrong | 5/31/12 9:30am

The store was named Bean's because its founder, Pauline Johnson, didn’t want her father’s name to die out with his four daughters. When he became ill, she began the store and sent him a picture of the front with his family name boldly displayed.

Despite the fact that it is hidden away from the beaten pathway between College Supplies and CVS on Main Street, where many people go for school supplies, Bean's isn't failing like many other small, local businesses. Cantlin says that their special niche of art supplies and their lasting relationships with the College's studio art department and other local art classes have made their store strong. Plus, other shop owners send people over to them if someone is looking for something specific, and the environment between store owners in town is very positive, Cantlin said.

Cantlin took over eighteen years ago when she had her first son, and ever since has been gearing him for take-over — though she said she is not sure which of her children will eventually continue the business. Cantlin used to be a chef and had to change paces after having a child, but she that the Bean business still keeps her plenty busy. Cantlin manually records sales at night after the kids go to bed, and she works in the shop every day. She has a part-time helper, who also works at a local grocery store, who steps in whenever Cantlin is too busy to handle the store by herself. The store's jam-packed walls of goodies have stayed in the exact same place as they were thirty years ago, and Cantlin said she doesn’t plan on moving them or updating the system any time soon. So stop by for a brand-new paintbrush, some deliciously thick sketchpad paper or some glittery pens (and a Dum Dum lollipop!) next time you stroll into town!

Katherine Armstrong ’14 has her nose to the ground for breaking news on campus. She loves everything purple, except purple grapes, and can be seen wearing one of two backpacks around campus — both of which she designed.

Katherine Armstrong